We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hi All

We have stayed in Penang about 7 times now, and as there will be 8 of us we would like to Hire a Car for a few days and do our own little day trips.

Can anyone recommend a good Car Rental Place that isnt expensive, does'nt need to be a new car, just one that includes insurance etc.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
North West England
Level Contributor
105 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rental

Well, they drive on the correct side of the road (left) but there are thousands of maniac scooter riders who come at you from all angles six at a time! The traffic, coupled with the one way system in Georgetown takes a cool nerve. Having said all that, I survived and would rent a car again!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rental

you will need to keep your wits about you and the traffic is VERY heavy ..parking is also a big problem and if you weigh it up it would work out cheaper and more convenient to use Ocean Jupiter who are excellent to take you sight seeing etc .. their rate at the moment is round the RM25.00 per hour with a minimum four hours ..they will take you where ever ...wait for you etc

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Jupiter
Ocean Jupiter
334 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rental

We rented a car and drove the length of Malaysia, from Singapore to Penang. We found the driving moderate and tolerable, even in Kuala Lumpur.

I disagree with the writer who seemed to find motorcycles coming from all directions. (And I note that he was able to cope.) There are more motos in Malaysia than in England, but most are driven by responsible adults as their primary means of family transportation. It isn't like the moto bobos in Italy! The motorcycles usually stay left, leaving the main travel lanes for cars. If you're like us, you'll get used to the system within a minute.

That's true even in central Kuala Lumpur, which we drove through at rush hour. We found London traffic more hectic than that in Kuala Lumpur, even after London's congestion pricing.

The greatest challenge in urban areas is parking, as it also is in England. In cities, you may do as we did: leave the car in the hotel and take a taxi for short local trips. Malaysia has a fine system of motorways (tollways) for intercity travel. The main north-south motorway from Singapore is 6-lanes.

Traffic in Malaysia is often dense in cities. (Petrol prices are one-quarter what you pay in England. ) People there drive nice cars, and would not appreciate motorcycles scratching them up. You'll see!

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rental

have to agree with FluffChucker ..especially in Penang ..scooters are everywhere and dive in and out of the traffic with no care for their own lives .. being one who drives there each visit ( every year for the past 25) I can assure you they a menace...as I mentioned above ..the best way is to use Ocean Jupiter to get you round

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Ocean Jupiter
Ocean Jupiter
334 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rental

Hi Debra K

if you have been to Penang that many times you are certainly ready to try driving.

It is not too hard but there are a few essentials. Use all your mirrors and concentrate. That way you will be aware of your surroundings. If you want to turn left use your indicator (a novelty here) but it will tell the bike that is sitting on your inside blind spot to get the hell out of the way.

Parking is not that hard if you are sensible. I often use the car park at the Red Garden. During the day it is almost deserted and costs a few ringgits an hour (expensive for Penang where the on street rate is 60-80 sens per hour.) From the Red Garden you can easily walk to anywhere in the Unesco area of Georgetown.

If you feel up to it catch the ferry to Butterworth and take the bridge back. One of my favourite drives is to Alor Star. Up the expressway and back along the coast road. Beautiful views of the rice paddies and occasional glimpses of the sea. In Alor Star do not miss the museum in the middle of town. It is the Sultans old palace and a very special place. (about 4 hours in total)

Finally did I mention that petrol is around A$0.60 per litre !!!

If you want a car hire recommendation send me a PM and I can give you a good place to go. Before I bought my car last month I had rented off them on and off for the last 3 plus years.

Enjoy yourself

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rental

sorry just noticed that debra k's post was an old one and that someone had re-opened the thread. The biggest problem in Penang is knowing your way around the one way roads,

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Rental

agree ...especially when they keep changing

18. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi