We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grasse, France
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

Hi,

Do not get me wrong, I think Penang island is a great island with unique mixed of culture that I find fascinating. Many things to see and many things to do but.... Batu Ferringhi is another story.

I still fail to understand why people come to Batu Ferringhi ?

The water quality is so bad that it is not recommended to swim there and Batu Ferringhi itself would need a very very serious upgrade from who ever is in charge in public administration in order to become a charming place to stay. Even if the sea is not so great, upgrading infrastructures, (good roads, nice pavements for pedestrians), a way to attract artists and a lot of nice fashion boutiques instead of this poor market would greatly improve the situation.

It seems that Penang island is booming with huge projects and nice new places (Georgetown is improving quickly, new marina is fantastic, many new hotels are coming) all is booming except... Batu Ferrringhi !?

It could be a beautiful place like Stanley in Hong Kong but it is far far away from it.

The only interest are the nice hotels built next to the beach and also I suppose the bars/restaurants which goes with them. As a matter of beaches, Langkawi or Phuket are 10x better so I wonder what did I miss in Batu ferringhi to find the place attractive ?

I am of course very serious !

Thanks

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

I suppose after touring Georgetown and seeing the waterfront and dirtier waters off Gurney drive it's natural to gravitate to Tg Bungah and Batu Ferringhi for some lazing around. Not much choice in northern coastal Penang. Like the big rocks there :) . Langkawi, Phuket, Hong Kong don't have Penang food, culture and history. An inevitable mixed of local itineraries for most.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,259 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

LOL, I think it sums up BF beautifully! Yes it is what it is! I agree there are nicer, prettier, cleaner, etc etc, but there is something about the place!!!! I think it is because of things it is not that makes it place that brings people back!

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

Each to thier own!

I agree with you Im not a fan of the area myself but my other half thinks its fine, even disagreements among our friends as to what the areas got going for it, some love it some hate it.

Like all places you can visit and think its great and yet others go and wonder what the attraction is. Or we would all end up in the same place with the same tastes and that would be really boring!

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

Thanks a lot,

I perfectly understand that different ppl like different places. For instance, I am not a big fan of Phuket as there too many bars with too many things inside that I do not like much but most Phuket beaches are something difficult not too like (even there are still better ones on the islands nearby). I am not a big fan of beaches in Bali (even there are much better than BF) but the ambiance and the local Hindou culture are so unique. Both places have somehow great restaurants and wonderful fashion designer boutiques so there is probably something for everyone there.

How was BF a few years back like in the 80's or 90's ?

Maybe it has a past glory or some kind of personality before that some people still remember today...

I have heard that sea was much cleaner before tsunami ?

What surprise me the most is that Penang itself is full of (huge) projects and his improving (much) rapidly everywhere but I have never heard about anything done in BF... I only read recently in the newspaper that it took one year to open a new gas station and a Mc Donald ;-)

I wonder how tourists actually spend their time in BF ?

Walking on the beach, swimming in the hotel pool but what else ?

At least however, most hotels are cheap, really cheap there !

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

Hi

I agree with TM there is something about Penang that gets you in and you just have to keep coming back

In the late 60/70s the water was was lovely and yes you could swim and see what was in the water around you

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

yes, the old charm of BF was the clearer waters, undeveloped beachfront, laidback village life and overall beautiful scenery. Have a check on this website - penangpage.com/ferringhi/ ,comments from tourists all over..

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,259 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

LOL, the change that has occured in Singapore over the last 40 years to what it is now is a typical example of what is happening to SE Asia. I loved that lovely old Asian town, but look at it now, nipped, tucked, lifted and plumped, enlarged and lipo'd!! Not much left of the smelly dirty Asian town!!

Sadly, it is what has happend as us tourists move in. Ask a back packer from the 60's or 70's and they will recount what a lovely place Patong was . . . or the folks who won't go to Samui now as it is no longer the sleepy hippie beach it was.

We have to accept what happens, and there is nothing we can do to stop it, as like it or not, 'people' will give tourists what they think both the 'tourists' and 'locals' want. Then suddenly, they realise what has been lost, and you see then trying to put back what there was - like rebuilding the shop houses in Singapores Chinatown after ripping then down in the 90's!!

Have you not seen the info' about the water park on BF? The ripping down of the small restaurants, the threat over hawkers centers . . . don't worry, someone already had their beady eye on BF, and it is only a matter of time . . . I know how it has grown up in the 30 years we have been going . . . . .

We roll with the punches or we move on . . . . .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

I'm currently in BF and understand what you are saying. Georgetown is coming along so well with noticeable changes. As for BF it plods along with the only changes being more and more condo's. My Malaysian partner tells me it's all about the local politics. I don't get into it.

But like others on this forum I see BF as it is and still have a warm spot for this part of the world. If I need good beaches I go to Thailand and this is why we are driving there next week.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

I'm currently in BF and understand what you are saying. Georgetown is coming along so well with noticeable changes. As for BF it plods along with the only changes being more and more condo's. My Malaysian partner tells me it's all about the local politics. I don't get into it.

But like others on this forum I see BF as it is and still have a warm spot for this part of the world. If I need good beaches I go to Thailand and this is why we are driving there next week.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What so special about Batu Ferringhi ?

Hi Rosli,

Your Malaysian partner is right. It's about politics which I do not wish to elaborate further as this is a tourism forum. You all just go and figure it out.

Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi