We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
722 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

We will be flying from Langkawi to Penang on my wifes insistence for a couple of days FEb 12-15.From what I understand there is not a great deal of choice for accom on BF apart from the bigger hotels and also that the water is not all that great there.

Would we be better off staying in Georgetown and maybe just going down to BF for the day ??

How far is it??

We do prefer to stay on or very near to the ocean but happy to compromise

Can anyone recommend a nice , say 60-70 $ per night hotel , well located in GTown

Or give some advice as to the benefits of staying in GTown v BF or Vice Versa

Cheers

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

Hi

Goto this site for more info

www.tourismpenang.gov.my/about_penang.html

Georrge town is not a beach area

cheers

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,754 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

Hi

You may find this link to a recent thread really useful read, it discusses the pros and cons of staying in Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g635527-i12669-k…

There are a couple of hotels near the water in Georgetown, but no beach. Those on Gurney Drive are not as well located [over looking what was once a nice bay but is now mainly mud flads] as somewhere like E&O or Bayview City which are both near the waters edge in a better location in Georgetown. Traders is probaly the best located for being in the centre of Georgetown. It would take 40mins to walk from E&O to Gurney Plaza, whilst E&O to Traders will take 15mins tops - taxis will take a few minutes.

Batu Ferringhi is larger resort style hotels on a lovely stretch of beach with murky water. The area is pretty quiet during the day, and on such a short visit, staying in GT is probaly the best bet. Its only 20mins taxi / bus ride between the two. So you can head over to BF one night and enjoy the night market and the Long Beach Hawkers Centre.

Your wife is right to insist, she, like most woman, will know that Penang is a great place to see both for sights / history, shopping and eating and has all the things that Langkawi does not have.

There are lots of hotels in GT, look at HOTELS IN PENANG in the left hand panel.

Have fun and happy planning.

Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

Great choice to 'drop by' Penang !!

It's where beach, city, and food come together! Now, even history!

It all depends on what things you like to do in Penang. If you like to walk around checking out heritage buildings, stay in GT as it's being recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hotels around town are mostly about 180RM to 250RM/nite.

But you can always option for motels and lower budget hotels, mostly about 2 stars..price is about less than 30$.

If you wish to try for hotels which are equally near to town and beach, there's a few but i personally like Hydro Hotel. It's in between BF & GT. Has a great view from the balcony, great food and nice people all around...love the services, and even the security guard and gardeners smile all the time :)

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

Hi

It depends what you want ,you would not swim in the water at BF but it is still agreat place to stay you can always get the rapid bus in to G/Town and take a walk around or you get a Trishaw tour around the town.I have lived in Penang 2 in my life time and have seen it changed so much but i still love it, the night markets at B/F are quite good the food is great at the hawkers out there Hope you have a lovely Holiday

5. Re: Gergetown versus Batu Ferringi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, May 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi