We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should park when I walk the Tongariro Crossing?

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Where should park when I walk the Tongariro Crossing?

My family is planning to walk the Tongariro Crossing at Tongariro National Park this summer.

What are the options for parking while we are doing the walk, as I gather that it is quite a distance between the car parks at the beginning and end of the walk?

We will be travelling by campervan, and I am worried about how safe it is to leave vehicles in the carparks there.

Thanks

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should park when I walk the Tongariro Crossing?

Your best bet is to leave your car or campervan at a secure parking facility at Turangi, there you can organise a shuttle service to the start of the track. Just google Turangi or Tongariro shuttles.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should park when I walk the Tongariro Crossing?

Sadly, security at remote trackheads is a problem so don't leave your camper van there. It also makes it more difficult to get back to the vehicle afterwards so Kiwi's advice is right. Use the shuttles.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should park when I walk the Tongariro Crossing?

Years ago when I was hiking in the area my car was broken into at the Mangetepopo end of the track and if anything it has only gotten worse. However, there are good shuttle services between Turangi and the track end and you arrange a time for them to pick you up.

4. Re: Where should park when I walk the Tongariro Crossing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 29, 2012