We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Hi,

we are going to visit NZ next year and also booked the Black Water Rafting in Waitomo Caves.

I would appreciate an advice about using photo/video equipment:

1) are there any ban regarding use of camcorders or cameras? No problem to switch off flash if required.

2) if there is no problem with 1), I would like to take a pocket camera and a camcorder, but I am not sure about the protection against water

The travel agency told us, that we will wear a neoprene clothing and will flow on something like inflated truck tube. So am I right that I only need to avoid dropping my camcorder in the water and only protect it against water splashes?

I am thinking about buying cheap camcorder "waterproof" TPU case for about 12 USD which is "It even floats safely if dropped in the water. Perfect for using in: Water parks; Water pool; Snorkeling and diving; Swimming beaches; Sandy beaches; Rainy days; Water sports".

Do you also think this is enough for this case? I am not going to dive there :-)

thanks much

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Hahaha where there is a will there is a way, eh OZRCFLYER!!! LOL

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Hi,

My late father, a solicitor used to paraphrase that saying into a more appropriate "where there's a will there are relatives".

Cheers,

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
798 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

I must remember your late father's comment! :-)

Having looked at the spec of the product (pun intended), they are sadly not caveprooof. I've no doubt "Q" is working on it as we speak.

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

That is true, most of your film footage would be pitched black and useless. I'm new to when it comes to making films, photography is more my interest. But good photos and films would have had post-production done on them, changing brightness, contrast, levels, curves, and as mentioned, making film shorter. I've looked at the promo picture, it also came with the photos we bought. You can also find them on their website, and I can tell post production have been done on them. They look brighter and better. To help support your argument, I think they even brought in some of their own lighting to help highlight rock contours in the background. They're for promotional purposes and our photos look nothing like that. But, it's not always about getting a really beautiful shot.

When I film with my camera. It's used to capture a moment, an atmosphere. I'm the type who would rather get footage of a friend doing something really cool or really stupid and funny, then later embarrass them with it. I'm currently in the process of making an embarrassing film highlighting our trip in New Zealand, unfortunately Blackwater rafting isn't in it. It's not a movie length film, just a short 5 minute clip. In saying that, the Blackwater rafting tour goes for a couple of hours, it would have been great to just get a few seconds of good footage.

Spy cameras, sneaky, sneaky.

I know all this sounds very critical. I guess my point is to help explain why people would want to bring a camera with them. Even to a place where you're most likely not going to get much good footage. As Juhele had mentioned, it's about capturing your own memory. There's something more unique in taking your own footage, rather than ripping it off someone else.

It upsets me when I read excuses like a camera could "break someone who is underneath you," "put others and yourself at danger," or getting cut by a broken camera. My point is, since when did we become so timid and...over-dramatic? There are so many inventions out there to help solve the problem, lanyards, body mounts, float-able attachments. Embrace them, don't reject them.

I also agree that no matter how much I argue. It will not change their minds to allow cameras.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Hi guys,

we attended the Black Labyrinth tour by The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co some weeks ago and it was really nice. Ok, trying to get into the wet neoprene overall was little bit complicated and it had a little bit bad smell but floating in the cave with the glow worms over your head was beautiful and looked like watching the sky with many stars.

Never experienced anything like this.

After some attempts to make a photo of the glow worms night before in the woods near Waitomo with my DSLR camera I must admit, that taking a camera to the cave would probably be unreasonable and would result in unusable video footage. My photos, even when using long exposure and manual focus + tripod, were not usable... So probably only few sections with the headlights on could be usable...

And about selling the photos - ok, 30 NZD for the usb stick is not a small price, but (as already written here) you get stick with all taken photos and not only these with you and it is in digital form.

For example, from the helicopter trip to Franz Josef and Fox glaciers by Fox & Franz Josef Heliservices you are offered with one printed photo of your group in front of the heli with some additional map and information for about 20 NZD. We did not buy it as we took more such photos on our own cameras so we have them in digital form - easier to print or share on the web.

If they put a GoPro on the heli and would offer you photos + the GoPro footage (+ maybe some previously prepared information as PDF) for much higher price (? 50 NZD) they probably would get much more people willing to buy it as you would get much better video than you can take through the windows using your own camera.

And while visiting Milford Sound boat trip the guy takes a photo of you in the port and later you can buy it for more than 30 NZD for one printed photo!!!

Edited: 2:25 am, February 10, 2014
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

Thanks for coming back to post some feedback. Sounds like you enjoyed the black water rafting.

27. Re: Black Water Rafting - question about camera etc. protection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, February 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves