We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different tours companies

Which Waitomo Caves hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Different tours companies

Hi everyone

I found some tour comapnies online and also read thru their reviews.

Can i check if these companies actually go to the same glowworm cave?

Waitomo caves

http://www.waitomo.com/

Spellbound

www.glowworm.co.nz/tour-information.html

I know caveworld goes to a different cave, footwhistle cave. Are there less glowworms for this cave? Anyone knows?

In the event that the caves are different, we wish to go to the one with the most glowworms.

:)

Edited: 9:41 pm, May 28, 2011
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different tours companies

i found out that the caves are different.

Any comments on the caves?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different tours companies

Not just the caves are different but the experience is different. I haven't done Waitomo itself for many years but I hear that they push tourists through by the coachload. I take my tour groups to Spellbound where the experience is much more personal & a little bit like an adventure - you go through one dry cave and one with a boat and LOTS of glow-worms. They even give you morning tea in between the two caves.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different tours companies

yup i heard all the good things abt spellbound. but i happen to be there in june, and they are closed for the whole of june. such a pity

so i'm more inclined to go with caveworld, since they operate in a small group too. but i would like a raft trip wtih the glowworms overhead that waitomo caves offer.

and i also cant find much information about caveworld since they are new.

has anyone been to caveworld? just the dry cave. are there a lot of glowworms?

i'm travelling with my child, and i think that would fascinate her.

=)

Waitomo Caves
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different tours companies

Hi there

We offer a guided glowworm walk tour ie Footwhistle Cave tour. On this tour you walk through displays of glowworms (there are lots), however they are spread throughout the cave which is quite different from the main Waitomo Glowworm Caves, where you will see a concentrated display of glowworms in the area as you exit the cave on a boat ride. If you are after an experience in a raft/boat this would definitely be the best option for you and your child and although this company caters to bus groups, at this time of the year if you did a tour early in the morning at 9.00am or 9.30am or later in the afternoon (after 2.30pm) your chances of being in a smaller group are greatly increased as their busy time is from 10.00 to 2.00pm.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different tours companies

hey guys at caveworld

thanks for the reply. i appreciate it

most probably i'll go for both!

will provide an update if i do.

thanks!

6. Re: Different tours companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 31, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves