We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

independent visit to caves

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Topic
independent visit to caves

Has anyone done the caves independently purchasing 3 of the best cave pass mentioned in Lonely Planet?

It looks like Glowworm and Aranui are within walking distance apart.

What about Kiwi Paka YHA, anyone stayed there?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: independent visit to caves

I have not done them myself but there is some free walks you can go on thru some caves around Waitomo. I am not 100% sure but I think they are around an hour or longer loop walks thru the bush and some caves. When your in Auckland look thru some of the travelers books. In one of them there is a 2 for 1 glow worm coupon for the company that does the Lost world cave system.

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: independent visit to caves

Hey thanks,

Are you from NZ? Do you have any suggestions for an independent traveller? I am buying a Flex Pass on InterCity Bus. It's a hop on-hop-off pass, so I'm very flexible. I will be in NZ for a month.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
319 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: independent visit to caves

http://www.waitomo.com/#

Above is a very imformative site about Waitomo Caves.

You are able to do virtual tours of the caves etc from the site.

We have done the Black Water Rafting and it is an amazing experience.

Sorry dont know anything about Kiwi Paka YHA.

Waitomo
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: independent visit to caves

Glowworm cave is walking distance from the village. Good luck if you want to walk to the aranui cave, that will take about 1 1/2 hours!!! Sometimes the glowworm cave people will be able to give you a lift if youre travelling by yourself.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: independent visit to caves

Check out Spellbound tours Waitomo website as they offer some interesting tour alternatives. If you get an opportunity, the Billy Black Show is good for a laugh mixed with some factual dialogue. Woodlyn Park has interesting but not cheap accommodation ranging from an aeroplane, a land locked ship, train carriage & a hobbit hole. There is a range of accommodation in Waitomo depending on what you are looking for but sorry, cannot help with info on Kiwi Paka YHA.

6. Re: independent visit to caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves