We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

Which Fernando de Noronha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

I am considering spending 4-5 days in Fernando de Noronha as part of a 2 weeks solo trip to Brazil. I am mainly looking for pristine beaches but I am not sure if this well advertised island is worth the extra effort to reach it. I am afraid that it might be an eco-pretentious tourist trap for honeymooners. Any idea?

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

I have never thought about Fernando de Noronha island this way. Just a paradise for everybody who intends to go there?!

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

Not a tourist trap for sure. If it is worth the money is another thing. If you just want a nice beach, there are many cheaper options in the mainland.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
880 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

Hi, sorry to jump into this, but I am planning to be there in the end of July, beginning of August for 4 nights. Is the weather ok by then? I have a flight back from Recife to Miami 3 days after I return from Noronha. Are those three days enough to shoulder me from a possible cancellation from the flight from Noronha to Recife? How frequent are flight cancellations in this route? Thanks

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

august is the beginning of the drier season there,,, and it is also in the best season for diving (while surfers prefer december to march).

i think 3 days is more than enough to deal with any eventual cancellation... for all it is worth, neither my inbound/outbound flight to FN was late/cancelled.

as mentioned above, FN is definitely more expensive... these are islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and everything has to be brought in from the continent.

never heard of it as a "honeymooners" destination... all sorts of tourists, including surfers and divers as mentioned in best times to go there.

most of the island is a national park; that brings two obvious consequences to tourists: there are certain limitations on what one can do on certain beaches (e.g., if you plan to visit Atalalia, arrange for that as soon as you get to FN as only X people are allowed each day)...

second is that there are extra fees to go there.... one can be paid online (but not really feasible for non-Brazilian residents to do it) or at the airport when you land there.... it is about R$48 per person per day you stay there.

and since 2012 there is national park fee as well (R$150 for non-Brazilians, valid for 10 days)... since most of the island is a national park, i dont see the point of going there and trying to avoid this fee... you can pay it upon arrival in FN on certain locations (link in Portuguese):

parnanoronha.com.br/paginas/118-informacoes-…

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
880 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

Obrigado

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1 post
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

I would not go to FdN again - it is too expensive to get there and stay there - the hotels are very bad value and there is not much to do.. Yes, there are several nice beaches, but such beaches you find also in other parts of Brasil: in Alagoas, south of Pernambuco, Bahia. If you are not a surfer or diver, don´t bother to go there - for the same money you can be twice as long in "continental" Brasil.

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

I just got back from Noronha. This is my feedback.

The good:

• All the beaches are, at least, good-looking, most of them are impeccably clean (no litter) and the ecological quality of the water is almost pristine.

• Considering the peak season, New Year, it was always easy to find a calm and not crowded place on any of the beaches.

• Wildlife, both terrestrial and marine, is abundant, easy to observe and seems to be well protected.

The less good:

• The beaches are not so good for swimming as they are very exposed to waves and currents.

• Noisy buggies circulate the (often unpaved) narrow roads 24/24. It is almost impossible to find a restaurant or a pousada not exposed to traffic noise.

• Due to high transport and accommodation prices, visiting Noronha, particularly in the peak season, seems to be a status symbol (only) for Brazilians and arrogant attitudes are not uncommon. It’s nice that so many Noronha visitors support the stagnating Italian economy by buying Milanese clothes and accessories but they looked misplaced in this dusty island in the middle of the Atlantic.

Beleza

8. Re: Fernando de Noronha - Is it worth for a solo trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 05, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Fernando de Noronha
More Fernando de Noronha Topics