We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House rental help

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
House rental help

Here's our story. My wife and I live in Raleigh and want to go with another couple to the NC Coast this September and rent a house. We "need" a pool. Otherwise, we need only 2BR. It looks like many of the houses have more than 2BR as a rule, so we're not concerned.

I know NOTHING about the outer banks beaches and the towns. Where do we want to go? Duck? Corolla?

Does anyone have any suggestions? We just want a place to hang our hats for a week; sit by our pool, hang on the beach and chill out.

Thanks!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: House rental help

Hi explorer3. Maybe that's the difference. That is, the number of people. If we go with a group, it's no larger than about 10 people, so maybe they do not feel that constitutes a potential problem.

MB

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: House rental help

We will have three generations represented and the second generation seems to have a lot of children of their own and a few step-children. But they get their energy released at the beach and with various activities, the pool and the one that's about 2' to 3' at Corolla Light. That place is great for actiivites for all.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: House rental help

Jeesh...I'd hope our demographics make us OK! We're 4 boring adults who don't really like other people when we're on vacation. And, yes, we'd like a provate pool. As I said...we're snobs!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: House rental help

Jeesh...I'd hope our demographics make us OK! We're 4 boring adults who don't really like other people when we're on vacation. And, yes, we'd like a provate pool. As I said...we're snobs!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: House rental help

You will be in good company in September. There are no families that time of the year, and everyone I know spends their time on the beach or in their houses. There just isn't that much to do, unless you really like shopping, It is also the most beautiful weather!

There are plenty of houses with really cheap prices. We rent our house through Prudential, and the prices are probably lower than most. You can really stay anywhere then....it will be quiet (less need to rent all the way up in Corolla to get away). Southern Shores seems to have a lot of pool houses. I just checked around to see how rentals were going, and September is only booking for the top houses (big beachfront homes with all the trimmings). Carolina Designs has tons of homes with pools (350+ available the second week in Sept. tonight), but most are big.

It sounds like you might want to locate near an ABC store and a grocery store. There are a bunch of both up and down the beach.

Enjoy!

new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: House rental help

Corolla Light is, in my opinion the nicest place to stay on the Outer Banks. You can get a house with a pool and still have the community pools, tennis, health club with an indoor pool. The beaches are great and it is beautiful. There are some great restaurants fairly close by and 2 grocery stores. You can get some beautiful homes for a great price in the off season. Use Corolla Classic Vacations. They have really nice homes and great service. corollaclassicvacations.com

Have a great time-YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

Grand Rapids...
7 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: House rental help

Stay away from Surf or Sound Realty. My Disaster Summary:

Surf or Sound Realty "Bermuda Dunes" #12 - Hatteras IslandAvon.

Paid $3940, including $560 security deposit for the "Bermuda Dunes" condo with Surf or Sound Realty. Top dollar, prime season August 12 - 19, 2006.

4 of the 7 days, Tuesday through Friday, the living space of our rental unit was not habitable, as the air conditioning was non-functional. It was a very hot week, upper 90’s, and there was no way to cool the living quarters on the third floor to a habitable temperature. It was so hot, we had to eat in the hallway to the bedrooms, where the AC still functioned. One would think you could open the windows to cool it down, but alas, we could not. We communicated daily with the Surf or Sound maintenance phone answering machine. On Thursday, 2 small window fans were delivered to help cool the place down. Did not do much.

Finally, Friday afternoon, the day before we checked out, the air conditioning was repaired. We heard the repair guys discuss "it had to be working, because the owners were checking in next week".

For the top $$$$$ we paid, we expected better.

I discussed with the Surf or Sound staff on check-out how to compensate. I was told Dave would contact me immediately, and to expect a phone call. After hearing nothing for several weeks, I called Surf or Sound back. Discussed the situation with Dave, who agreed something should be done to compensate us. I suggested 3 days use of the condo for free. Dave proposed 1 week of “off” season for half-price, $547.50. To which I agreed. Then, I received a contract for almost $1000, including the fees tacked on. I crossed out the fees, sent the contract back, asking Surf or Sound to revise, as they had promised. The response was a letter informing me that my reservation has been cancelled for failure to pay.

Thanks, Surf or Sound for a memorable vacation. You got my money. But, it's the last time.

tennessee
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: House rental help

i wld try two web sites rentals by owners

www.vrbo.com

www.greatrentals.com

19. Re: House rental help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 22, 2009