We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
224 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

we are 2 adults, 3 boys aged 2,8,11. Originally from the UK but live in USA now.

We will drive from Asheville, NC to the Outer Banks for the first time for a week on Aug 9th or thereabouts.

We would love to stay ocean front or right near the ocean OR near a beach we can drive on to? We drive a 4x4 Ford Excursion. This sounds great way to drag all our beach paraphernalia (sun shade, fishing gear, food etc) on to the beach!

My husband would love to be by a beach that he can fish from the beach/shore.

I'd also quite like a place with a pool for a break from the beach. A condo, house or whatever with 2 bedrooms is great.

And I guess if the ocean is not too rough for the 2 year old to paddle in???

I know we have left it late!! But thanks!

We are open to all areas, doesn't have to have a ton of man made activities, we want the Outer Banks Experience!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

I would suggest the Avon area or Frisco area It is less commercial on Hatteras Island , There are homes on the beach and there are open beaches to drive on too. There is a fee to do that these days also will need a Salt Water fishing license .

Between Avon and Buxton there is a sound side beach call the Haul over area that is usually very calm a great place for your young ones to play in the water, no currents and shallow a long ways out. A favorite place for the Kite and Wind surfers. .

I may be wrong but I think Hatteras Realty has a community pool in Avon

www.hatterasrealty.com/…

None of theses have many man made activities.

The towns of Rodanthe Salvo and Waves you will also find beach front homes

You can check this link to find the areas you can drive on.

nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/googleearthmap.htm

Edited: 6:11 pm, June 07, 2014
florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

We were in yhe Haul Over area on the sound just north of. Buxton today. Just beautiful! I would suggest staying in Avon or Buxton. Be sure to take the free ferry over and enjoy Ocracoke for the day.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

You also might want to consider the northern beaches around Duck, Corolla, 4X4 area. Check out www.visitcurrituck.com and you can order a visitor guide. You do not need a permit to drive on the northern beach.

The national park service link that fish oinc listed will give you lots of info on the national seashore, what areas are open to off-road vehicles, and how to get the off road permit.

Another really useful link for info on beach driving, local events, and funny pictures of people who did not air down before driving on the beach is the Facebook page for Oregon inlet Idiots at https:/…112988558787606

Finally, this is facebook page for Sea la Vie bed and breakfast in Salvo on Hatteras Island. It's close to the sound and Anne who runs it is great. We have stayed there before and enjoyed it very much.

https:/…196454653722337

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

Posted some photos and comments....

www.obxtravels.blogspot.com

Might see some sights that help you focus your choice!

5. Re: Help to choose location specific preferences!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2015