We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best fly/drive combo

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best fly/drive combo

I'm looking for the best way to get to a rental house in Corolla. I'll be traveling alone and meeting family. Our rental goes from Sat July 5 to Sat July 12. I can fly into Norfolk, but the earliest arrival would be 11AM, then there are some at 2PM ish, 5:30PM ish, and 11:30 PM on Sat. I could also fly into New Bern for about the same price and arrive around noon. Then I'd need to rent a car and drive.

According to Google maps, Norfolk is 2 hours and New Bern is 3, but I've heard traffic is better from New Bern? Last time we flew into Norfolk, but I don't remember what day or time.

Any suggestions?

richmond
Level Contributor
913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best fly/drive combo

How would you get from Norfolk to Corolla? I would fly in on Fri and stay the night at the airport and get a very early start Sat.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best fly/drive combo

I'd be renting a car and driving. What would you expect the time difference to be between early and later on Sat. What about driving down Fri night and staying in a hotel on the Outer Banks?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best fly/drive combo

Your real problem is getting into Corolla traffic is always bad on Saturday from about 10 to 4 and there is no way around it .

Staying Friday night is a good option but you will still have to deal with the traffic going north into Corolla . Later is better in my opinion

richmond
Level Contributor
913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best fly/drive combo

Coming down Fri and staying in the OBX would be the most relaxing. Holiday Inn Express in Kitty Hawk allows one night rentals. I would head up to Corolla by nine. Stop and explore Duck to kill some time. Once you get past the town traffic moves much better.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best fly/drive combo

So if I got in on the 5:30PM flight, would that be late enough to miss most of the traffic? Would Fri PM be better than Sat?

I guess everyone thinks Norfolk is better than New Bern? It looks like I'd have to drive almost the whole length of the OBX coming from there, so that seems like it would have traffic, but maybe not as bad as the bridge?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best fly/drive combo

Since coming on Fri means I'd be flying on the 4th, would that affect things? I found a room at the Days Inn Mariner in Kill Devil Hills for the Fri night and booked a cancellable rate. The HI Express didn't have availability.

I think I'd have about the same choices of flight times on Friday. Is traffic as bad during the day on Fridays?

I think we can get the house keys at noon, so would driving up to Corolla be bad at that time? (I'll have to double check the time, as my sister made the reservation.)

Also, any recs on something to do for the 4th? I guess probably everything is really crowded. I'm not sure if there's anywhere I could walk to from the Days Inn.

Edited: 8:26 pm, March 26, 2014
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best fly/drive combo

Getting into Norfolk on Sat around 5:30 pm would put you at Kitty Hawk at about 8pm with the drive and baggage claim and rental car pick up. The traffic is all but gone by then.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best fly/drive combo

Thanks. That doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I'll go with that option. Is there anything interesting happening that night, or should I just go to the beach? (I assume the beaches are safe at night alone.)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
427 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best fly/drive combo

Yes, the beaches are fine alone at night. Bring a flashlight.

10. Re: Best fly/drive combo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks