We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things with teens

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Best things with teens

Thinking of coming out for spring break 2014. Looking for recommendations for fun things to do with young teens. Great restaurants and weather. We are willing to drive around, but are concerned our boys will be bored. We usually go to Myrtle Beach but I'm soooo tired of it. Looking for a unique experience.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best things with teens

Do your kids skateboard at all? The YMCA at mile post eleven in nags head has a great outdoor skateboard park, you can use for a fee. Drive all the way down route twelve to hatteras village and go to the free graveyard of the Atlantic museum.

When you cross the Wright memorial bridge over the sound to the island (actual namer is Bodie Island, but everyone just uses the town names) you will be at milepost zero on route twelve. The bypass road and beach road going south have mile post signs every mile or half mile, so that's how you can locate things.

Check out lessons on kite boards at Kitty Hawk Kites or REAL Watersports in Waves. Folks use the kite boards on the sound side, the water is much shallower and calmer than the ocean side. Also check out Manteo, the wildlife refuge visitor center and Elizabethan gardens and the little waterfront town itself.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best things with teens

Can anyone help me with the best ECO tours. In my search from your wonderful answers it looks like there are quite a few kayak/Eco type tours. I would be interested in the kids actually seeing birds and dolphins and so on in there natural habitat. I know some tours and some areas are best for this but I don't know which one of the many would be the most likely to see interesting things and hold the teens attention and mine.. Is there any way to see the boat wrecks without having to dive?

Is there a graveyard with famous / historical graves ect.

If we take a wild horse tour is one better or more exciting than another? There are many nature type activities any particular ones really outstanding? There are some nature hikes, any one where people more often see animals.

Is there a few great places with neat shopping and restaurants the boys and I could explore shops and have lunch Or dinner? We love food, my husband is a foodie and we love seafood so any recommendations are welcome. Any restaurants with great food and awesome views?

I'm pretty open to the whole outer banks area in general. An hour drive for an exceptional experience is worth it.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best things with teens

I think Manteo and/or Ocracoke would work as far as small town areas that are easily walked and you can visit shops and the kids can wander around also.

Ocracoke has a British graveyard, from World War II. You could leave early and drive down to Hatteras village and catch the free ferry to Ocracoke. It's about 50 miles or so from Kitty Hawk to Hatteras, then the ferry ride is about thirty minutes. The village is 12 miles from the ferry stop, and the wild horses on Ocracoke are in a pen there. The park service corralled the horses to prevent them getting hit by cars, also easier to take care of them in case of really bad weather.

Check National Park Service - Hatteras National seashore site in the spring before your trip, they should have listing of planned tours up by then. They do a canoe/ kayak tour and ranger guided tours of the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, programs on bears and red wolves. There is a visitor center for the wildlife refuge close to Manteo. I wrote a fairly detailed review of our wildlife refuge trip. The refuge itself is about thirty minute drive from Whalebone Junction - milepost 16 in Nags Head.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best things with teens

The Graveyard of the Atlantic museum on Hatteras Island depicts the shipwrecks of the Atlantic and some of the pirate tales. The drive down is nice and you could stop at Bodie Island lighthouse which you can now climb and then Pea Island Refuge which is great for nature viewing. I think the other ideas listed such as wake boarding are great for teens .Stand up paddle boarding is also a hit and there are some places on the sound side in Nags Head that do this. There are many mini golf courses up and down the bypass road and some have go carts and game rooms too. For dining, casual beach dive kind of place we like Tortugas Lie in Nags Head and the Nags Head fishing pier and Goombays also has some unique items. Millers, Owens ,Basnights lone cedar restaurant and Sugar Creek( or the Sugar Shack ) all on Nags Head are good choices for consistently good seafood dinners. For shops, the town of Duck is very walkable with cute shops and restaurants and coffee shops and ice cream places so it's worth a drive there.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best things with teens

I like the wake boarding and paddle boarding ideas, I just thought the water would be to cold? Am I wrong? Gosh that would be nice.

Once we get to Ocracoke we won't have a car, can we get to all the tours ect. That sounds perfect I'm very excited about all the options!

I've got to check out all the websites like kite boarding , do they have lessons, we wouldn't have any of this type equipment.

Thank you so much I have lots to figure out!

Houston
Level Contributor
143 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best things with teens

Hi kisswells.

How was your trip? I see from one of your posts that you are interested in photography. I am a photographer as well and I'm planning my first OBX trip in September. Can you offer any advice on interesting photo locations or tips for the area?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Deborah

17. Re: Best things with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 01, 2015