We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nags Head vs Duck

Maryland
Level Contributor
492 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Nags Head vs Duck

Multi-family...6 adults, 3 small boys under 2...looking for centrally located beach area...close to grocery store..we want to rent a house on the beach with private pool.

Is one area more 'cost effective' to stay in than the other?

Never been to NC so not sure which area would be best for us...any suggestions?

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

There is only one main road, only two lanes, getting in and out of the northern beaches of Duck, Corolla, Carova. So of you check in on Saturday traffic can be bad, other arrival days traffic is not bad. The beaches have no public access, so less crowded.

Kitty Hawk Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills all have public beach access and free parking so sometimes can have more people, but the beach in Nags Head is wide and has plenty of room.

Personlly I like Nags Head, specifically the area south of Whalebone Junction and Jennettes Pier, because it is more centrally located and not quite so much traffic off Old Oregon Inlet road. The beach road Virginia Dare Trail and the bypass road can be very busy at times.

We like to do day trips to Manteo and south to Ocracoke and to go to the beach just south of Oregon Inlet, and are much closer to all of that in south nags head.

Toddlers will be happy to play in the sand any where, and you will get that either place you choose.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

I think the main difference in Duck and Nags Head would be the single road vs a 2 lane and a 5 lane, but other than that it gets more of a personal preference. There is more to do in a 10 mile radius in Nags Head, but some will find that as a disadvantage. As far as cost effectiveness I don't think you can differentiate the two much. The beach is wider in Nags Head, no question about that.

nc
Level Contributor
484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

With 3 little ones, I would suggest Nags Head. You will be much closer to a grocery store, pharmacy and any other places you might have to make a quick run to. There are many options for oceanfront or oceanside in both the Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills area, of varying sizes and amenities. Decide how many bedrooms you need and what you can afford, and that will help narrow your search.

South Nags Head has that 2-lane road feel mentioned above, with much better accessibility than Duck. This area is south of milepost 17 on and around Old Oregon Inlet Road. There is no commercial and very little through traffic, but you are only a few minutes from the Food Lion at milepost 14.

Don't get me wrong, I love Duck! But when the first thing you mention is the grocery store, it's not the place for you, at least this year. Take a drive one day to Duck and explore the shops and the Town park, which is really nice. Maybe you will want to come back another time, or for a grown ups getaway in the fall :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
492 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

Thanks everyone for your input. I will research Nags Head! Appreciate it!

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

Just so everyone knows, we have a pharmacy in Duck! But, yes, we are 10 minutes or so away from the Teeter.

Maryland
Level Contributor
492 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

How is the water temp there in early July? How are the waves?

In MD they are rough, in SC they are more gentle.

Are they similar to Myrtle Beach waves?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

We were there in mid-to-late June, and the water was cool, but not cold, and that's with having some overcast days and an off-shore storm to contend with. Note that I am a warm-water kind of guy. I can only assume it will be warmer a few weeks later. The waves in NH are not bad, at least in my opinion, seemingly smaller than Myrtle Beach. I did notice that the water was in general a bit choppy compared to Myrtle Beach, but again, weather off-shore has that kind of effect no matter where you are.

Edited: 9:56 am, November 03, 2013
8. Re: Nags Head vs Duck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 05, 2014