We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late spring in the Outer Banks?

Beverly...
Level Contributor
300 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Late spring in the Outer Banks?

Hi,

I am planning a road trip to North Carolina in late April of 2014. We will be driving down from Massachusetts. Our first few days I would love to come to the Outer Banks but wanted to make sure that restaurants and other activities start to open up by that point. We will be a family of 4 adults and 2 children. Does anyone know if you can do beach house rentals during that time for 3-4 nights? I think the Kill Devil Hills area is where we want to be. Heading to Camp Lejeune/Onslow Beach from there for 3 nights. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late spring in the Outer Banks?

Some people, for reasons I don't understand, have the incorrect assumption that lots of places here close up at some point in the year. It must be because they are not here all year to see that 80-90% of all stores and restaurants stay open all year. Going down to Hatteras or up to Corolla will see a few more places close in Jan and Feb but for the most part everything is open and what is closed won't prevent you from finding enough open to keep you happy. So the answer is YES, there is enough open any month you come. What does close is open in March sometime and ready for the spring season.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late spring in the Outer Banks?

Most everything that closes for the winter will reopen in march in time for spring break, many college kids and families head to the beach for spring break. April is during the off season so you should be abler to get low rents. Lots of companies and owners do a three night minimum rental, if you want to rent a house.

The beach may be very cold, or it might be warm. I would recommend looking for a place with YMCA membership included for length of your stay, or if you belong to your home YMCA I think you can purchase daily pass, so you can use pool there if you want to swim. Or just bring a wet suit and join the surfers and kite boarders in the water.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late spring in the Outer Banks?

You may find that some restaurants are not open for dinner Sunday through Tuesday, but mainly those in Duck and Corolla - before May. To rent a cottage for a "partial week" you're most likely going to have to wait until the last minute - a week or two before you travel -just in case someone wants to rent the whole week - which I think is preferred by the owners/rental companies.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late spring in the Outer Banks?

Thanks all for your tips. The official Outer Banks tourism website made it seem like everything was shut tight as a drum until the first of May. I think we will try and find a hotel instead that maybe has a fridge and a microwave in the room. I don't like having to eat out every meal in a restaurant especially with younger children.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Late spring in the Outer Banks?

You may be able to rent a house for the week for about what you would pay for four nights in a hotel.

Edited: 8:56 am, October 11, 2013
6. Re: Late spring in the Outer Banks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014