We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's best location in Outer Banks?

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Where's best location in Outer Banks?

Hi, thinking of renting a large house on one of the Outer Banks beaches in June/July 2014. Where has the best beach? We have at least one sun worshiper in our party who wants to just relax on the beach in the sun. Need golf courses and bars etc for the rest of us though! And, realistically, can we expect much rain? Many thanks for any help and advice.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's best location in Outer Banks?

Lots of good beaches throughout the Outer Banks, but golf courses are hard to come by....also not a lot of bars/nightlife. Less than a handful of golf courses in the OBX.; they are located between Duck and Nags Head, so that area would be your best bet for accommodations, best get tee-times well in advance. BTW, my husband is a golf addict, but never takes his clubs to OBX.

If golf is a top priority, also bars, nightlife, etc. you may want to look further south at Myrtle Beach, SC and surrounding areas. Tons of golf courses there, plus bars and nightlife....tons of people too. What you'll be giving up though is all the history and natural beauty of the OBX.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's best location in Outer Banks?

UNCMikey is pretty much correct, but they forgot there is a very nice, albeit expensive, golf course in Corolla at The Currituck Club. There is a private course in Southern Shores and another course in Kitty Hawk at Sea Scape. Nags Head has a nice course in The Village of Nags Head. Crossing the bridge to the mainland Currituck county will get you 3 or 4 courses from the bridge to Grandy, NC.

Best beaches are many. Corilla, Kill Devil Hills Nags Head, Avon are all pretty darn nice and NO WHERE as crowded as Myrtle Beach is. There are more things to do in Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head than any of the other areas, so if doing more is required that might be the place to focus and just travel to other areas to see them while you are here.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's best location in Outer Banks?

Thanks so much for replying. UNCMickey - SC is a bit far south as we are driving from Moneta VA, staying in Outer Banks for a week, then driving back to DC for our return flight to the UK. Thanks again for your input. OBX200 - great info re golf - Will get my husband to check out all the golf courses mentioned.

Edited: 3:38 pm, August 11, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's best location in Outer Banks?

Just got back and played 2 courses.

Duck Woods is just before the bridge on 158. This was a pretty good course but it was pricey at $115.

Carolina Club is about 15 miles from the bridge and it was interesting and in great shape. Got a deal on golfnow.com for $59. Highly recommended.

Currituck CLub is up north in Corolla that is supposed to be very nice. Normal a.m. cost is $160, but Yesterday afternoon on golfnow they had a deal at $35 for times around 3:00. I was going to give it a shot but didn't want to upset my wife after going out twice already solo.

Weekend tee times tend to be cheaper than mid-week because there is a lot of arriving/departing traffic on the peninsula at that time.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's best location in Outer Banks?

If golf is a daily must...northern OBX it is on the Outer Banks. I've stayed a week in Hatteras before and made an 1.5 hour trek to and from the course twice in that week. Of course for daily golf, I'd do North Myrtle Beach personally or even Sunset or Ocean Isle Beach or Surfside Beach or Garden City.

6. Re: Where's best location in Outer Banks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 14, 2014