We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norfolk to Hatteras

NY
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Norfolk to Hatteras

Hi - we are flying into norfolk and renting a car to drive to the outer banks. Is there a child friendly restaurant close to the airport but towards OBX? How much traffic can I expect in the area on Saturday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend? Our flight home is Tues morning around 11. Will rush hour traffic be a nightmare? Thanks!

I had also posted this on the Norfolk forum...

Mentioned in this post
OBX Campground
OBX Campground
50 Reviews
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

Bring your medications as the traffic will be HORRIBLE from the NC state line all the way to Kitty Hawk. Once in Kitty Hawk the traffic to Hatteras will be moving but heavy. The problem will be from Grandy to Kitty Hawk and it can take several hours since it will back up from the bridge north. Crossing the bridge itself (3 miles long) can take an hour. Normal traffic takes 1.5 hr from airport to Kitty hawk and another 1.4 to Hatteras. Your trip will be 2 or 3 times that if you leave the airport around 1-2 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
richmond
Level Contributor
961 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

Hey Tim they are coming Memorial Day weekend. I know you watch the traffic cameras. Would it be that bad Sat afternoon?

To the OP there are a couple of places as you exit the airport. Mostly fast food if you want to grab something.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

OH - Wow, where did I get the idea it was Mid July they were coming. I had that in my mind for some reason. You are correct, it won't be bad that weekend. It will be heavy since that is a very popular week, but it's not mid July bad. Thanks for pointing out my error. I don't see the traffic backup that badly that early in the summer.

Here is a website they can watch to get an idea of the traffic as they come south.

www.trafficland.com/city/OBX/index.html

Edited: 11:49 am, May 20, 2013
Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

For a wider variety of non-fast food chain restaurants (if that's what you're looking for), you might get off Hwy 64 onto Battlefield Blvd in Chesapeake, heading south. I think it's exit 290 (not sure whether it's 290A or 290B).

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
NY
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

Thanks everyone! Any thoughts on traffic back on Tues morning?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

You will most likely not have any trouble with traffic on Tuesday. Have a nice trip!

7. Re: Norfolk to Hatteras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 22, 2014