We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time of travel

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
time of travel

What's the best way to drive to the outer banks from Philadelphia ?

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time of travel

Most scenic is down Delmarva peninsula to Bay bridge/tunnel to I64 to US 158. Fastest is probably I95 to I64 to US 158. From So MD we take US301 to US17 to I64 to US 158. Lots of traffic on weekends. Enjoy the beach!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time of travel

Stay away from 95 around Washington at all costs!

From Philadephia, I take 95 to 495 around Wilmington, take 1South (recently constructed toll road 65mph) to last exit after toll booths past Dover which is posted toward Norfolk. It will take you back to 13S which will lead to Chesapeake bay bridge. After a short drive in VA Beach you will take I64 tow Chesapeake the 168s to 158 s until you hit the bridge that goes into obx....It is a beautiful sight when you reach it. If you leave very early in AM from Philly n a Sat(4 or 5am) it will only take 7-71/2 hrs. If you go later in morning n the summer about 8 hrs. If you hit OBX early afternoon, you will sit in a lot of traffic getting on the island.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time of travel

...what I said as first option, just more detail.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time of travel

I would suggest Rt 113 (Dover, DE to Pocomoke City, Md) instead of Rt 13. Less traffic, lights and radar.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time of travel

Typically Rt 113 is quicker but if it is a summer weekend, it is possible to hit a lot of Delaware and Maryland beach traffic. May want to just take 13 south.

I am from DE but live in VB, and totally agree-avoid 95 from Philly, you will run into way too many delays heading into the Hampton Roads area.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: time of travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 20, 2014