We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area should we stay at?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What area should we stay at?

Hi everyone... looking for your help! A group of my friends are looking to take a girls trip to the OBX and aren't sure where to say as none of us have ever been there. We are all in our 30's and hoping to rent a beach house that is on the water, but also close to bars/resturants/activities.

Can you recommend what area we should stay at? Duck, Nags Head, Corolla etc?

Thanks!!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area should we stay at?

We really do not have bars here as you are thinking of them. Each restaurant has a bar area in it. There are a few night spots that come close and they are in Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head so you might want to be there. Port o Call, Brewing Station and Kelly's are the ones I am thinking of.

The rental homes here lean towards families and family groups more so than groups of boys or girls renting them, so you might find some resistance to your group from the rental management companies. It sounds like Va Beach or Ocean City or Myrtle Beach is more of what you are looking for than the Outer Banks.

Edited: 3:38 pm, February 17, 2013
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area should we stay at?

I concur that you are most likely to find what you need in the Nags Head area. You should find a reasonable amount of activity in walking distance, everything within a very short drive. Since you're from Pittsburgh, I would say the "bar" atmosphere is similar to places like Fat Heads, Bocktown, or even Church Brew Works (I'm assuming you've been to at least one of those. If not, let me know.)

OBX, she says they're all in their 30s, so I would assume they wouldn't get too much resistance, would they?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area should we stay at?

Thanks Exterior.... I was thinking the same we are all in our mid 30's its not like the owner is going to have to worry about a bunch of young drunks destroying their place we are all mature adults. And it's not like we want to go out to a bar and drink every night - but it would be nice to do a couple times. Thanks for the info. Is there any bars like the ones you mentions in Duck?? Thats where the girls were talking about saying but I will have to sway them into NH if not. How far is it between the two places do you know?

richmond
Level Contributor
893 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area should we stay at?

Great Restaurants with bar areas in Duck. Some do have live music on weekends. Great for a cocktail. Fishebones and the Sunset Grille do have a little bit of a bar scene and karaoke in season.Rundown Cafe and Hurricane Mo's are not to far in Kitty Hawk.. I don't think you will have any trouble renting I often see Girlfriend groups when out walking the dog on the beach.. Check out the Duck restaurants on Tripadvisor. We also have some great spas. Aqua S and the Sanderling.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area should we stay at?

I haven't stayed in Duck, but I know that places like that do exist. I just can't in good conscience recommend any since I've not partaken. The biggest difference is size and scope. Duck is a very nice area and a little less commercial. Nags Head/Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills is a little more developed so it will be a little more heavily populated, but the area offers a lot of variety and is still very nice. The drive from Duck to Kitty Hawk is only about 15 minutes, and the stretch from KDH to the southern end of NH is only 16 miles, so you have many options to choose from.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area should we stay at?

If you are planning a peak season rental this year (mid June through Aug), you should book right away. Waterfront places go really fast. There is lots of great concentrated shopping in Duck, as well as the restaurants mentioned above and the Sanderling Spa. One of the best restaurants in the Outer Banks is Blue Point in Duck. Make reservations way in advance. The hub of restaurants, bars and activities is Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head. Duck is a little remote and you don't want to drink and drive anywhere in the OBX, so stay within walking distance of where you drink. There are many restaurant/bars on the beach road through Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head.

7. Re: What area should we stay at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 23, 2014