We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in early June

Charlottesville...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in early June

My family and I are thinking of travelling to the Outerbanks June 1-8. What is the weather typically like around that time? We usually travel to the Gulf for our vacation, but have decided on a change of pace this time around. I'm just hoping it will be comfortably warm enough for 2 kids under the age of 1. Why are the crowds usually later in June and in July? Are they waiting for warmer weather?

Thanks in advance!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in early June

It'll probably be about like it is in Charlottesville.

Schools aren't out yet in early June.

Water temp is cold. Much warmer water in July, August and Sept.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in early June

I have many years of memories of really hot Memorial Day weekends. My rule of thumb is swimming starts to become tolerable early June. The weather should be nice and the crowds much better than July/Aug.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in early June

The weather shouldn't be a problem. We were in the Outer Banks in mid June in 2011 and even with some rain and what I'd guess is unseasonably cool temperatures, we still had highs in the upper 70s and low 80s for the most part. I will concur that the water can be on the cool side, especially if you're used to the Gulf of Mexico or farther south on the east coast, but it isn't intolerable (I'm kind of a warm water guy, myself).

As far as crowds are concerned, July is peak season for most US non-skiing destinations, if for no other reason than it's just simply a popular vacation time in general. July and August are generally the hottest months in all of the US, making beaches a popular summer destination. Also, school may be in session in early June and late August in many US locations, whereas there is no chance of school being in session in July.

My advice, enjoy the thinner crowds, especially if you are ok with somewhat cooler ocean water.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in early June

we were there the first full week of June 2011. Our week was awesome. temps were in the low to mid 80's. The water seemed to vary day to day. Our first day, the water seemed really cold... not intolerable, but cold. Later in the week, it seemed to to be much better. We didn't have any rain - though rain was predicted, it just never happened. I think June is one of the best time periods to visit. Now that most of Indiana is on a "balanced" school year (they get out for a mini-summer vacation the end of May) - you might see things start to pick up in June. If more states jump on-board with the "balanced" schedule - watch out.

5. Re: Weather in early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 27, 2014