We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

My family plans on renting a house on the Outer Banks this summer. We are staying for two weeks. I am traveling with a 2 year old, there will be a 5 year old and the rest are adults. I have NO IDEA where to even start looking. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

Don't over think it by incorrectly assuming if you pick a place it could be so awful that your trip is ruined. That just is not the case with the different areas. Each has some advantages and some have some disadvantages that is for sure. It also makes a big difference what day you come and where you go that day. Saturday traffic from July to Sept is bad and going up to Corolla will add an hour from Kitty Hawk up to Corolla on Saturday. Just know that, but once you get there it has the advantage of bigger newer homes and a fair amount of shopping and things to do. The Kitty Hawk, KDH and Nags Head area is more commercial with lots more shopping and things to do. Each town is 5 miles long so all three are only 15 miles from the end of one to the other and it has a 2 lane road and a 5 lane road so getting around is easy. Going south to Hatteras adds another hour from the Kitty Nags Head area and it is more open with less to do and more geared to fishing and driving on the beach. All areas have uncrowded beaches with Nags Head being about the widest with the renourished beach they have, but Hatteras and Corolla have nice beaches as well.

You should find a house that fits your needs and price, come and look around the other areas to see the differences for next year and not over think the decision. If you want to sit and read or stay home, Hatteras is for you. If you want things to do after 4pm then Kitty, KDH or Nags Head is you goal. Don't over think it and come Sunday to Sunday if you can to save the traffic nightmare.

Valparaiso, Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

I was planning to visit the Outer Banks for the first time this May. All the pictures of the beaches and properties are dated and I am concerned about the damage that Hurricane Sandy has caused? Can anyone provide input on this?

Thanks

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
753 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

Since you're going in May, traffic shouldn't be much of an issue. Pretty much anywhere you stay can get you where you need to be easily. Rodanthe to Nags Head about a half hour, then under an hour to Corolla (bout an hour to Hatteras too).

I agree that if you want more relaxation, do hatteras island (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras). If you want more restaurants/shops/things to do look into Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Southern Shores (starts going away from this area). Not sure about Duck/Corolla, never stayed, but have gone to timbuck II shops in Corolla.

As for Sandy damage, I haven't been back since so obx200 can be more specific, but I don't think that it will affect your experience. It caused some damage, but most will probably be repaired by the time you get there. A couple houses fell, but that won't have an impact on you (as harsh as that sounds, don't mean to make light of it).

I've never had a bad rental/hotel stay in the outer banks. Have I stayed in nicer/more updated homes? Yes, but even the older homes have been clean. Look at the pictures, see what fits your needs, and go have fun.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

You might want to mention what kinds of things you like to do on vacation. Do you want to be directly on the beach? Do you want a lot of night life? Do you want to see the lighthouses? Wright Brothers National Memorial? Do you want to be away from busy areas or in the middle of everything? Vacations on the Outer Banks can be very different, depending on where you stay--much like the Jersey shore.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

You would never even know that Sandy was here except for a small area in Rodanthe. The people on the OBX have been through many hurricanes and homes are built to withstand them. Recovery is always fast.

6. Re: 1st time traveling to the Outer Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 13, 2014