We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Hancock...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Just thought I would let others know who might not, the toll on Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) for weekend travellers has increased from $2.00 to $6.00, a 200 % increase. I was not down to OBX last year so didn't notice. Only noticed this time because my EZ Pass flashed "Low Balance" so I checked my account and saw the $6 ding and was a bit shocked. Just another way to gouge the tourists travelling through I guess. Just curious how they justify this outrageous increase when the multigazillion dollar CBBT is only $12.00? Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) is a poor excuse for a toll road IMHO.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Luckily it is super easy to go around the toll booth by taking the exit before you get to it and travel down the 2 lane road for about 5 miles and then get back on Rt 156/168 again. Going around the toll also lets you pass a Wa Wa gas station and several other businesses where you can get out and move around before heading south again. Be sure to thank Virginia, it is not something NC did or agrees with.

Edited: 11:32 am, August 20, 2012
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Yes, we noticed that too, on our trip in early June.

All I can say is we may have been suckered on the way down,

but we did exactly as OBX200 did and they will NOT get our money again.

Made me nostalgic for the good old days when 168/158 was one lane

in each direction, going through sleepy Hickory, Virginia...

...that tiny little bridge over the creek in dusty Moyock

(back when there was little in Moyock except the post office :) )

...waiting for the draw bridge over the ICW in "down town" Coinjock on occasion... (and we kids learned the meaning of "patience")

...back when the *original* Cotton Gin was the only retail store between Great Bridge and Kitty Hawk ;) and it was a rite of passage to stop on the way down and pick out a new beach towel...

...and though the traffic could be irritating at times,

with just the one lane in each direction, and Mario Andretti

- I mean Dad- passed everything that moved on 158

when given the opportunity, the OBX was not as virulently popular

as it is today so the traffic didn't seem so too awfully bad

(oh but then I was not doing the driving, lol )

But at least the drive was FREE!

Okay, progress has now been made, but the old road had a few good things going for it, lol.

Life was slower then ;) and while there was some traffic getting there,

once you were there it seemed to disappear... :)

Seems to me that the lion's share of the road improvements since

the 1970's were made by NC and only a little by VA

and yet who is charging an arm and a leg????

This trip down memory lane was brought to you today by Middle-Aged Moments...

Middle-Aged Moments- remembering the good things as better than they were, and the not-so-good things... what were those again? ;P

Hancock...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Thanks for the tip OBX200. I understand NC has no responsibility. It is VA punishing the northerners for not vacationing in VA Beach ;). Tolls, new tolls and toll inceases are the new normal. I guess this is not a problem for the vacationing wealthy, you know those folks that stay in the $15K and up places, but for the little people, the cost of travel skyrocketing with tolls and gas prices near 4 bucks and it might cause some of us to have to reconsider our destinations. We're doing ok but we normally travel here with 6 families, but this time only 3 could come and 2 of those are on such a tight budget this might be their last vacation here. Breaks my heart. I wonder if the tourist areas can survive with just the upper middle class and wealthy travelling? I also notice several houses around us (KDH) empty that we don't usually see, at least I don't recall it.

JT_1837 thanks for the memories. I saw a T-shirt here that is apropos "The older I get, the better I was."

Youngstown
Level Contributor
94 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Must be the EZ Pass system at that interchange. Mine flashed low bal both directions and I had way more money than needed on mine at the time.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Is the toll increase on weekends only? JT...I remember those times too. However, we never stopped at the Cotton Gin on the way down-too excited to get there-but what a fun tradition you had.

Hancock...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

I believe the toll went from $2 to $3 on weekdays and from $2 to $6 on weekends during the summer. Not sure about non summer. Someone please correct if I'm wrong on this.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

Thanks! I thought it was "only" $2 last year...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
489 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

The toll structure is on their website:

http://www.chesapeakeexpressway.com

EIther avoid weekend travel or take OBX200's detour!

9. Re: Advisory - steep toll increase Chesapeake Expressway VA-168

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 31, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks