We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windjammer @ Nags Head

nc
4 posts
Save Topic
Windjammer @ Nags Head

Has anyone stayed at this resort lately. Last thing I see posted was back in '06. Have there been any updates? Any info would be appreciated.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

I would never call Windjammer condos a resort, but they are nice and are well located in Nags Head on the beach. Each unit is individually owned and so each has its own charm.

nc
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

Tks for update. I did call them and was discouraged to find out they do not have any "non-smoking" units. This would be my big problem. I am trying to get a stay through RCI and the choices are very limited. This being my first time ever to the outer banks don't even not what to look for. From what I have researched, very lad-back and just a great way to enjoy natures beautiful scenery. Needing some overdue r&r.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

If you decide to forego the timeshare because of the smoking, try searching on some of the realtor's websites. Most of them allow you to designate your preferences, and you would be able to select "no smoking." We have stayed in several nice condos on the beach that did not allow smoking. However, people do smoke on their balconies and if you keep your balcony doors open, you will still get some smoke inside your condo. Plus the smoke tends to collect under the roof of neighboring balconies, making it unpleasant to be outside when your neighbor is smoking and you are allergic or sensitive to smoke. Many of the houses are non-smoking and that might work better for you.

You are right about the "laid back" atmosphere in the OBX. It's perfect for R & R, and the opportunities to enjoy nature are endless.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

I think Barrier Island used to have an RCI affiliation. You might want to check there, too. As the other post stated, there are lots of rental options here with many non-smoking rentals.

nc
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

W e have been able to get reservations @ Outer Banks Beach Club I @ Kill Devil Hills. Hopefully this will fulfill our expectations. Thanks for all the info.

One other thing......what is recommended as a good place to have breakfast @ KDH or close by?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
755 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

We haven't stayed in the NH/KDH area in a few years, but when we did we would always go to either Ship's Wheel or Gritts Grill for breakfast. Both are great and I would try both for a good breakfast.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

Our favorite place for breakfast in KDH is Miller's at MP (mile post) 9.5 on the beach rd. across from the Comfort Inn. www.millersseafood.obxtxt.com/index.php. They have great, pleasant service, and there are always coupons in the beach guides found in the rental offices or at various stores.

Check the restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor or do a search on breakfast in the forums to see other choices with good reviews.

Edited: 11:21 am, February 20, 2011
asheville, nc
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

how was the windjammer? thinking about it for this summer

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

Recent bad experience at Grits Grill. Got there for late breakfast (it was not crowded) and waited almost 10 minutes for coffee. We sat at the breakfast bar. The lady was coking our food, and started to re-arrange the large floor mats in front of the grill. She picked them up with her bare hands, and moved them, and then went back to cooking without washing her hands again. We left, and I will not go back there.

10. Re: Windjammer @ Nags Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:51 am, May 11, 2012