We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a taxi from Cancun to Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, CT
1 post
Save Topic
Taking a taxi from Cancun to Holbox

Has anyone taken a taxi from Cancun or Cancun Airport to Isla Holbox? I have seen a couple articles saying you can hire a taxi for $60-70. The other private transportation is $60 per person or more and my husband and I refuse to pay that much.

Our plane arrives at 12:30 and I'm afraid that is cutting it too close to get us on the 2:15 bus leaving from downtown Cancun to Chiquila, not to mention that the last ferry seems to go to Holbox at 5:00 pm. The three hour bus ride would have to arrive in Chiquila 15 minutes early. I just don't see this happening with public transportation.

I really dont want to stay in Cancun for even one night!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a taxi from Cancun to Holbox

I agree, I would be anxious to get out of town to Holbox as quickly as possible. I also think the $60 per person is out of line but have no idea the taxi fare since I always take the bus. One other option that might work is to take one of the many Cancun to Merida or Valladolid buses to the turn off point for Chiquila, La Ideal, and then a taxi for Chiquila at $20. This saves a lot of time since the taxi makes it in under one hour, versus at least 1 1/2 for the bus.

And, if you miss the ferry, you can always find a small boat to take you across.

schornre@sbcglogal.n...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a taxi from Cancun to Holbox

Are you on the flight from Dallas? I"m heading to Holbox tomorrow and get to Cancun at 12:30 also.

Ray

schornre@sbcglobal.net

3. Re: Taking a taxi from Cancun to Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 27, 2009