We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
6 posts
Is Holbox

is Holbox a must see destination? I've traveled south from Cancun many times but thought I might venture north this trip. Any suggestions?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,110 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: Is Holbox

One of my favorite places because it is one of the last relatively unspoiled places, my opinion. Cancun, Isla Mujeres and anything South are pretty much becoming rapidly overdeveloped, in my opinion. Enjoy it while you can.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
195 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Is Holbox

Hard to answer your question without knowing more about your preferences. As mentioned, Hotbox is relatively undeveloped and unspoiled and untouristy. This is why we love it, but it might be why you hate it.

Natural beauty, friendly people, unpretentious accommodations, excellent food, quiet enjoyment of your surroundings are some of the things Holbox offers. Travel is meant to be an adventure. Go. Experience. I bet you come back.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,495 posts
124 reviews
3. Re: Is Holbox

For the reasons mentioned above, it's on our list to visit next time we travel to the Yucatan Peninsula :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Is Holbox

Same with us. We are going to isla mujeres for the second time in April but heard Holbox is what isla was like 20 years ago

We are so courios we have set up a 3 night trip in the middle if our two weeks to check it out

Who knows if we like this May be our new destination

Won't know till we try

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,110 posts
164 reviews
5. Re: Is Holbox

I think we are promoting it too well! If the visitors keep increasing, it will soon be like Isla Mujeres--or even worse---like the Riviera Maya.

Innsbruck, Austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Is Holbox

We are thinking about going to Holbox in the next weeks, maybe january. But it's pretty complicated to find a good and cheap accomondation as I'm looking for a double room with private bath for up to 25-30$. Do we have to spend more money or is there something we can afford with this budget? Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,110 posts
164 reviews
7. Re: Is Holbox

I hope someone can help with your hotel. But to me, with that budget, it may be difficult to find anything with private bath. It would be difficult at any time but especially in high season.

8. Re: Is Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island