We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos at CUN

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
160 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Pesos at CUN

Hola forum members. In less than 48 hours we will arrive at CUN on our way to Isla Holbox. To say we are looking forward to our adventure would be an understatement.

I failed to secure any pesos locally and now I am obsessing over the possibility EVERY ATM at the CUN airport will magically run out of currency and that I will be unable to withdraw needed $$. It has been many years since we have traveled to Mexico and I simply can't remember what the situation with ATM's is at CUN.

It is my assumption that I will fairly easily be able to find an ATM and withdraw adequate funds ($1,000 USD will be plenty) but it will ease my (and my revered femme's) mind if some savvy TA experts would kindly offer their wisdom on the matter. I may be over-thinking it (hard to believe ain't it?) but it never hurts to ask.

Muchas gracias de antemano

Holbox Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
VIP Holbox Experience
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
813 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pesos at CUN

Actually, there were at least 3 there in late March, and the costliest was the first one past customs and was affiliated with a bank. Sadly, I don't recall which bank, but the difference in fees only amounted to a few dollars. We never had need to withdraw more than 3000 pesos at a time and the only thing that required a lot of pesos was the transport between the airport and the ferry. Most things weren't expensive, and those that were, like lodging and finer dining establishments, all accepted credit cards.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Pesos at CUN

Buenas dias from Amaite Hotel lobby. For those of you not on Holbox this morning, I am truly sorry. What an amazing vacation so far. My concerns about ATMS and pesos were unfounded in the end. CUN did indeed have two machines just past customs and I was able to withdraw initial pesos to get us started. The machines on Holbox quickly run out of funds, but the daily walks into town give ample opportunity to test the situation. More reviews and posts will follow (peae pardin typos) In the mean time, todo bien.

13. Re: Pesos at CUN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island