We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from a week on Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from a week on Holbox

We are still tired from traveling a full day yesterday but wanted to give back to this great forum. We spent the last week in Holbox--at the last minute I decided to leave the laptop home and have a really unconnected week. What a wonderful place! We rented the beach cabana Los Cocos and it was perfect, just big enough for two people and all the essentials for the perfect beach house. We tried to learn some survival Spanish but it was really not enough to do grocery shopping and very local take out--but everyone was super friendly and helpful, especially since I have a food allergy to fish.

We had a super day of whale sharks--lots of them to swim with a true bucket list experience, we went with Mawimbi and enjoyed it.

Some things that surprised me:

How developed the beach is until you get out of town heading for the channel.

How friendly and helpful everyone was given our very very poor Spanish...that being said we do travel a bit and this was the most no English spoken place we have visited. I will say though we did shop local and once we had a pizza and were surprised that our server spoke English (maybe our Spanish was just too painful to bear)

How beautiful the island is on the outer parts.

How many wonderful birds there are--I'm a real fan of the frigate birds and flamingos.

How reasonable it was to eat local--of course we had a kitchen and could get provisions and eat in.

Things that worry me:

That it will lose its quiet charm. I see a post just on here about kiteboarding, and how could they ever ban it. The ONLY bad thing that we experienced was the very loud noise from the club on Friday and Saturday (and only until 1AM on Sunday) night. We were staying next to La Palapas and the noise from some club around the block was non stop until between 4-5 am. This is a residential area and while we sadly closed our windows and turned the ac on I am sure many residents can't. I am also sure that this club would never be allowed in the hotel zone because customers would complain. I don't mind clubs--but have a reasonable last call--or a reasonable time to turn the volume down. That is unless you want Holbox to become Playa North.

For us one week was a little short, we easily could have spent more time here. And as far as being unplugged...we never even noticed!!

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

The ferry leaves every hour so unless you have a really late arrival I wouldn't worry. The drive is though really long stretches of desolate highway and once you get there you have to park your car off the island so renting doesn't make sense. It will take time to taxi to the bus station and then have your timing right to catch the bus, which will take longer than a transfer. For all of the above I am assuming that you are somewhat fluent in Spanish.

In general a transfer is the easiest, as I said you will be tired and if you are not fluent in Spanish (you are going to Mexico) may not want to deal with the people trying to get your business.

If you don't want a transfer the next easiest choice is to get a taxi from the line at the airport to Chiquila and from the ferry dock it is easy to buy your ticket and get a golf cart on the other side. But the taxis at the airport are expensive and you will end up paying the same amount as a transfer.

If this is your first trip....transfer!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Thanks for the advice.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

I have used Transfer Holbox twice and have not had a problem with them. You get exactly what they advertise, pick-up at the airport (driver holding a sign with your name on it), air conditioned van ride to Chiquila, ferry ticket and taxi to your hotel (driver holding a sign with your name on it) on the island. We have already booked our flights to Cancun for February and will be booking with Transfer Holbox for a third time. Their service is professional and courteous. It takes the worry out of trying to get to Holbox.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Just back from Holbox. On way home...we got a $3 golf cart to the ferry, purchased a 80 Mex peso ticket across (each) and jumped into a $80 taxi to Cancun airport. Tipped driver $10, he was delighted. Took about ~3 hrs all in.

2 of us plus 3 bags. Easy, Probably a little more taxi fare on way out of Cancun airport...but always cheaper than a transfer if 2 or more pax. Depends if you trust the transfer to be waiting...

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

That is exactly what we paid for the way back to the airport. From what I've read the taxi is more expensive if you pick it up at the airport in Cancun---I think it is $100 plus tip so in the big picture its not a huge difference from a transfer.

I just hope that all of you who are getting ready to go have a wonderful trip!!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Hi there,

I'm curious: What time did you leave the island?

I'm leaving Monday for Holbox and returning the following Monday, taking the bus to the ferry.

Were there plenty of taxis willing to go to Cancun? The extra expense sounds worth it for the return leg.

Also, the $80 you mentioned: Was it per passenger?

Cheers

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,434 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

I am sure the 80 dollars is per taxi not per passenger. My main objection to the taxis is that I don´t like the long drive in a small taxi, often not in the best of condition with a driver trying to set land speed records.

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

We had a 2:20pm flight from Cancun. We took the 9am ferry, Rosy had arranged a cab, a nice midsize car and we arrived at the airport around noon. We were unlucky enough to be flying AirTran (the Greyhound bus of airlines) and the check-in line was huge so we were happy with the timing. It was 1000 pesos for the cab.

I personally thought the trip was more comfortable than riding in the van transfer, it seems setting speed records is normal. I think it is smart to take a taxi back to catch your flight.

29. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 16, 2014