We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from a week on Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from a week on Holbox

We are still tired from traveling a full day yesterday but wanted to give back to this great forum. We spent the last week in Holbox--at the last minute I decided to leave the laptop home and have a really unconnected week. What a wonderful place! We rented the beach cabana Los Cocos and it was perfect, just big enough for two people and all the essentials for the perfect beach house. We tried to learn some survival Spanish but it was really not enough to do grocery shopping and very local take out--but everyone was super friendly and helpful, especially since I have a food allergy to fish.

We had a super day of whale sharks--lots of them to swim with a true bucket list experience, we went with Mawimbi and enjoyed it.

Some things that surprised me:

How developed the beach is until you get out of town heading for the channel.

How friendly and helpful everyone was given our very very poor Spanish...that being said we do travel a bit and this was the most no English spoken place we have visited. I will say though we did shop local and once we had a pizza and were surprised that our server spoke English (maybe our Spanish was just too painful to bear)

How beautiful the island is on the outer parts.

How many wonderful birds there are--I'm a real fan of the frigate birds and flamingos.

How reasonable it was to eat local--of course we had a kitchen and could get provisions and eat in.

Things that worry me:

That it will lose its quiet charm. I see a post just on here about kiteboarding, and how could they ever ban it. The ONLY bad thing that we experienced was the very loud noise from the club on Friday and Saturday (and only until 1AM on Sunday) night. We were staying next to La Palapas and the noise from some club around the block was non stop until between 4-5 am. This is a residential area and while we sadly closed our windows and turned the ac on I am sure many residents can't. I am also sure that this club would never be allowed in the hotel zone because customers would complain. I don't mind clubs--but have a reasonable last call--or a reasonable time to turn the volume down. That is unless you want Holbox to become Playa North.

For us one week was a little short, we easily could have spent more time here. And as far as being unplugged...we never even noticed!!

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
732 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Sounds like you have a great time (other than music from that lame club). Holbox is on our list of places to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,454 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Nice report. One of my favorite places. Glad you enjoyed.

¨This is a residential area and while we sadly closed our windows and turned the ac on I am sure many residents can't. ¨

I doubt if the noise bothered the locals. One thing you quickly learn living here, is the Mexican people don´t seem to hear noise. Many actually seem to enjoy it. A very noisy country!

London
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

as per the poster above, the mexican's/locals love a fiesta and are the first to ramp up the noise, i expect the club may have been full of them.

i went to one of the clubs there and it was almost entirely full of locals http://youtu.be/QOWF4kuODbI - i left about 1am as i had an early flight the next day, but it was still going strong with people only just turning up.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,454 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Agree with the above. At 1AM in Mexico, the party is just starting. Even when I spend Christmas Eve at the home of friends, who are a Mexican family, the party goes all night with much loud music. And the neighborhood is full of similar parties. When I mention loud music or noise, they really don't understand why I complain!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

thank you all for the explanation. I will say that the fish tournament started at 7am when the fishermen left, and the music started pumping at 6:30am, I didn't mind that at all because I knew to run down to the pier to see the festivities and the fiesta was just plain happy family fun! Maybe the club music is just not my cup of tea, and it was only on the weekend.

I can't believe that people will only come and stay a few days, as I said we should have stayed longer.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

My mom has music battles with the neighbors - almost everybody in our neighborhood is from Mexico. They listen to ranchero music at 6am on weekdays - and it's always blasted out of some inadequate car stereo, so it's all distorted and everything. Bah. If you are going to play your music loud, then at least get a decent system ;-) So my mom waits until about 8am on Sunday - the neighbors' day off - and she turns up her music - Led Zeppelin, Ozzy, whatever. This has been going on for years.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Rising Fawn, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

We'll be staying at Los Cocos in 3 weeks! Can't wait! Any advice/suggestions on things to bring or not to bring for the stay? I plan on just bringing a few clothes and the coffee we like.

We did the whale shark tour w/ Mawimbi last year. We weren't planning on doing it this trip unless there is a high probability of seeing Manta Rays. Did you happen to see any during your trip?

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
732 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
USA
Level Contributor
882 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

We stayed there in May and you will love it! I brought my own bar of soap in a baggie as I like a good sized bar and I think they did not have wash cloths but not positive. We were super lucky with no mosquitoes but a friend who went in July could not stand it - just a warning. Le Jardin for breakfast - around the back down the street - you won't be sorry! Enjoy!

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

We found Los Cocos really well stocked. We did have wash cloths as well as bath towels and beach towels. Rosy had suggested that the coffee is really good--and I am a coffee snob and really liked it, but it isn't a big deal to bring your own. There is a drip pot and an expresso pot (you know the metal hour glass kind) I don't like drip coffee (did I mention I'm a coffee snob?) so was happy for an alternative. On the day we went no manta rays, but two days later tons of mantas. We did see alot of whale sharks though.

Do ask Rosy for food suggestions. We ate very local, loved Happy Chicken (Pollo Feliz) and the Orange place (Coopertiva???. ) I'm allergic to fish and seafood so could not take advantage of her other suggestions.

Hit La Jardin everyday, the little muffins are to die for--as well as the quiche, and morning wouldn't be complete without fresh hot baquettes. We took most things to go since we had the best view for dining on the island---and we had a kitchen. Rosy can tell you how to get to the fruit and veg market for salad fixings and we did buy Italian meats at the deli (also good bread and expresso).

We did have skeeters dawn and dusk, but you to be prepared. You will love Los Cocos--it is perfect in every way!

Mentioned in this post
Rising Fawn, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from a week on Holbox

Thanks to both of you! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!