We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult Only Hotel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
North Carolina
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Adult Only Hotel?

Hubby and I love Riviera Maya/ Isla Mujeres and now I'm looking at Holbox. I have been going in circles trying to find the right place for us and hoping someone might help me. We are hoping to find a place that would be an adult only and have either a beach bar or drink service on the beach and or pool. It would be a plus to have a restaurant on site as well. Side note: Is there a medical staff on the island? Thank you.

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult Only Hotel?

We are going to Holbox for the first time in August, having vacationed on the Riviera Maya last year (and didn't really care for it). Ask yourself why you are attracted to Holbox...then read all the hotel reviews and maybe look at some of the youtube videos to get an idea about the atmosphere.

For us--we hope to see whale sharks. Additionally we prefer off the beaten path places, in Florida we pick Anna Maria Island instead of St Pete...close to home Dewey Beach Delaware instead of the Jersey shore. If the location has no high rises, no big resorts we are ready to go. We also know that the beaches and water will not be the super blue that we see in other places, and that it is a very basic fishing village that gets a rush during a few months a year.

I'm not saying that you won't love it---just understand in advance where you are going.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult Only Hotel?

There are lots of small hotels with beach bars, a few with pools. but more for dipping than swimming. I liked my hotel Las Palapas very much but it was full of European families with small children. They weren't a problem. I think that if a hotel has a pool it is more likely to have small children in it, and that can be noisy. No adults only hotels that I know of.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult Only Hotel?

We are considering Holbox for our next trip as well. Last trip we spent several days in Tulum, which we really enjoyed. IF (and this is a big IF) I were to choose to stay in a place with large resorts, I think I would insist on an adults-only resort to avoid noisy, roudy kids. However, it is my experience that with off-the-beaten-path type destinations in general, the kids who end up there are much more well-behaved than average. I think it is just that the type of people who seek out places off-the-beaten-path and take their kids with them are generally not the type of people who would let their kids run wild in public. Anyway, this doesn't answer your question, but I would think that in areas outside the main resort areas in Quintana Roo, finding an adults-only hotel wouldn't be as big of an issue - at least it wouldn't be for me.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
761 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult Only Hotel?

I don't think there is an adults only place in Holbox. I have a toddler now, but before having a child we only went to adults only resorts and kid friendly resorts were overran by children. That's not the case in Holbox. While we love traveling there with our little one, it's not a Beaches resort :-) full of kids clubs.

If you want to avoid kids, go to a place with no pool as people with kids like having a pool. We also look for more services, such as all inclusives (because you never know what they want to eat!).

But like another said, there are not enough kids at the resorts for you to be annoyed by them. We went to Holbox before we had kids and the kids did not bother us (and we only went to adults only places) and there are so few kids.

Canyon Lake...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult Only Hotel?

I was in Holbox the second week of June with my 3 kids (12, 14, 16). To be honest with you, I didn't see very many tourist children. We rented a house so I can't speak of the hotel amenities. However, every hotel on the beach seemed to have nice beach loungers, palapas and a bar not too far away. If you are looking for warm waters, no crowds and peace and quiet, Holbox is your place. Enjoy!

6. Re: Adult Only Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor