We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to transfer from Holbox to Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, Oregon
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to transfer from Holbox to Tulum?

My boyfriend and I are leaving Isla Holbox on Monday (Jan 14) and hoping to be in Tulum that evening. Our back up plan is to take a bus back to Cancun and then rent a car, but wondering if anyone had any information on transportation from Holbox to Tulum directly? Or would be interested in splitting a taxi with us?

Any information would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,531 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to transfer from Holbox to Tulum?

Chiquila to Tulum would be an expensive taxi ride. Since I try to avoid Cancun, another option might be the Oriente bus to Valladolid and then an ADO bus to Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Ado
Ado
595 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to transfer from Holbox to Tulum?

Hi RobertSDF - If it wasn't for you our trip to Mexico last year would not have been a success!! Anyways, I was just replying here when I saw your name.

Liz K - I think Tulum to Chiquila/Holbox would be a dizzying and long trip, plus remember, even once you get to Chiquila there is still the ferry transfer. Depending on your budget, you may consider contacting the air service which flies in and around the area - you could head to Playa del Carmen's airport easily enough, board your plane, and travel right to Holbox. Perhaps this would only take an hour? A very short flight nonetheless and a good chance to view the landscape from up high. Otherwise, consider hiring a private driver at a reasonable cost - if you have your own car, you will end up parking it for the duration of your stay in Holbox - not sure if you want to pay for a park car, and whether or not you are comfortable leaving it there. Good luck with your planning.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,531 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to transfer from Holbox to Tulum?

Thanks, mb. I am happy to know your trip was a success.

I believe the OP was doing the trip in the opposite of the Tulum to Holbox trip you outlined. However, most things will work in reverse.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
4. Re: Best way to transfer from Holbox to Tulum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014