We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

Is it clear of smelly seaweed? I read from a reviewer that at around noon, they would smell sewage smells from the ocean (user was reviewing La Palapa hotel).

We will be arriving in 15 days, and very excited about our 2nd trip to Holbox. We're hoping the weather, and the water, would be as gorgeous as when we last stayed at the island.

Lake Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

We stayed at La Palapa (may 1 - 8) and had no seaweed issues whatsoever. Other hotels had more. The hotels on the eastern end (nicer, more $) had tons of seaweed. And yes, the smell at other locations would get a bit ripe. We had lunch one day just a block from La Palapa at Tuch and it was quite odorific, but after a short time the wind changed directions and we had a great lunch.Enjoy your trip!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

Clane, you're awesome, thank you for the information. I'm getting a bit nervous as our vacation looms nearer as the weather reports show lots and lots of rain and clouds and thunderstorms and a bit of wind towards the end of May :-(

FINGERS CROSSED! Praying to the weather gods and sacrificing a dozen donuts, some cake and home made icecream.

Lake Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

You'll probably appreciate the clouds as it was pretty dang hot when we were there. And if it rains - no lovlier place for a warm rainy walk along a gorgeous beach. I'm sure it will be wonderful even if you should get a bit of rain and clouds. Nature is ever changing!

Lucky you getting to go a second time! If you didn't use it last time, I'd highly recommend the "Local's List" from the Forums here - amazing local insight!!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

It's our last day at Holbox: the beaches are still quite slimy here at La Palapa, but is actually much nicer than the beaches out towards casa sandra, las nubes etc. west side looks clearer. It's not as awful as i thought it would be, but is disconcerting to step into squishy ocean floor. Best to bring water shoes if slippery squishiness gives you the willies.

5. Re: How does the beach look like in Holbox so far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island