We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dalserf, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

I am planning our first trip to Mexico and struggling to work out the most economical way of basing ourselves in Akumal (snorkelling is the main appeal as well as proximity to cenotes, tulum, coba etc) but desperate to swim with whale sharks too.

Options seem to be arrive in Cancun airport, transfer to ABR for around 10 days and then transfer to Isla Holbox for three or four days, then transfer to airport to come back to Glasgow.

As ABR is not exactly 5*, I would like excellent accommodation in Holbox - better then to go to ABR first?

Would one transfer company be best to do all the transfers or should i book separately?

Struggling to find any hotels in Holbox bookable through Travel Republic - is there a reason for this?

Any itinerary help / advice appreciated - I realise I am waffling but my head is buzzing.

:-) thanks in advance!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

You can also do the whale shark tour from Isla Mujeres as well, the sharks are usually in between the two islands so not much difference other than the fact that Isla M. is easier to get to from ABR and has that lovely turquoise water. Plenty of places in all price ranges there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

A nice AI on Isla Mujeres is Privilege Aluxes.

Dalserf, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

Ta for info.....kinda discounted isla mujeres thinking holbox would be more traditional and unspoilt. Guess I should check it out before making these assumptions!

How do I do the whole multiple transfer thing though, get one way from airport to ABR, then one way from ABR to isla mujeres then one way from isla mujeres back to airport? Am I being dense here :-/

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

marzie, any of the private transfer companies can do this for you, I have used USA Transfers, a poster on another forum did pretty much what you are doing, went from airport to Akumal, Akumal to Isla Mujeres and then Isla to the airport. She just emailed USA and they gave her a quote and the whole thing went very smoothly. Not sure if USA goes to Holbox or not but you could always ask.

Holbox Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

Hello Marzie, just type in transfer holbox in google and great companies pop up! Isla Holbox is indeed unspoilt and beautiful, and home to the whalesharks, flamingos, giant ray, dolphins and turtles. You´ll pass miles and miles of virgin beaches that, as Isla Holbox, form part of the natural reserve Yum Balam. On the way to the whaleshark it is very common to see any of the species mentioned as well, making a trip to see the whalesharks so much more valuable from Isla Holbox.

Dalserf, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

Aw adriana, I yearn for it now....sounds incredible! I started researching isla mujeres but just didn't get the same vibe as I felt when looking at Holbox......it will be added travel, be harder to book everything separately and more chance of things going wrong, but, aaaargh.....I NEED to go!

I love the idea of being secluded, less touristy (even though I will be a tourist!), more laid back and more "real"........oh dear, I am sooo lucky that this is my biggest worry in life at the moment, am sure millions would love to say the same, x

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

Marzie20 if you ask at the ABR tour desk they can book a trip to whale sharks. Also do a search on itours on the net, they are based in tulum and one of their tours is to El Balam then onto Holbox for a 3 hr boat trip through the lagoons seeing the wildlife. A long day but well worth it in my opinion we are def doing that in July ;) If you pm I can send my info file I have which you may find useful for getting around and what we have chosen to do :)

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

Marzie20: Holbox is worth the hassle of all that extra travelling, I promise you. The island is so chill and relaxed, people are nice, the food is quite good (we ate very well: both local and italian). We rented a golf cart and drove from one end of the island to the other and just marveled at how lovely the island is. Though this time around, the water was a bit murky due to seaweed/bad weather, last year when we went in July, the water was very clear. We plan on swimming with the whale sharks next year, and go fishing and island hopping.

Pack your DEET (or Picaridin 20% spray): the mosquitos are hungry :)

Lake Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

Hey Marzie!

You will not be sorry going to Holbox! I went last month and I am going back next week! We used Eduardo Garcia at mycancuntransportation.com for transfers, and it was so easy and pleasant! We're using them again - in a heartbeat. They do teh entire Riveria Maya. We stayed at La Palapa and loved it, but it is not 5* hotel. Accomodations in Holbox are more simple than other places it seems - but that is Holbox! There are "finer" accomodations on the island, but when there none of it seems to matter.

We found that La Palapa had the cleanest beach (at the time - nature does have its ways!) when we checked out other hotels on beach walks. But it was crazily immaculately clean and the grounds were impeccable. This next week we are splitting between Mawimbi and La Palapa as La Palapa was booked. I did find seaweed an issue more so at other hotels than it was at La Palapa.

One of our "new best friends" we met was from Aberdeen. He loved it so much and is planning a return trip for Christmas with his fiancee. He stayed at Mawimbi and loved it.

I doubt you can go wrong in Holbox. Just go expecting the most pure, simple and natural experience. It's the most amazing place with the most amazing people! We found that things that may matter elsewhere, were not an issue or concern there. Obviously, I'm going back in just over a month!! Can never get enough of Holbox!

10. Re: Akumal Beach Resort - Holbox - Cancun ”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, June 22, 2013