We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places Similar to Holbox?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places Similar to Holbox?

My boyfriend and I went to Holbox two years ago and absolutely loved it for so many reasons: it's low-key, no hustle and bustle, easy to get around, very affordable, good (local, fresh) food and drinks, pretty beaches, activities to do but no pressure.

We're considering going back, but would also be open to other places with a similar vibe. We don't want a "touristy" place. We live in North Carolina and are looking for somewhere to go in November/December. We are looking for somewhere that won't take TOO long to get to, won't cost an arm and a leg, and will be warm.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

I'm a big fan of Tulum, and am coming to Holbox after thinking long and hard about other places like Tulum (there aren't any that check ALL the boxes, including convenience from the eastern US). Tulum is somewhat more convenient than Holbox, but I wanted to try somewhere new that was uncommercial.

Tulum has been growing and developing very fast, room rates on the beach are going through the roof (but in off season deals are abounding, and you can stay at nice places for $100 or even less), but for now it's still a wonderful option, and I'm just checking out Holbox to try it on for size. :-)

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

Yelapa, Mexico...

Fly into Puerto Vallarta...take a water taxi down the coastline for 45 minutes...you are in Yelapa. Turn your watch back 30 years...and enjoy the slow pace, and authentic food etc...YUM!

great website to check out is a site that is ran by Canadians Randy and Judy. they own a couple of casa's there...is

www.casainyelapa.com

good luck w/ your research.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

If you stay at one of the high-rise hotels in Centro and never budge off Hidalgo (main pedestrian strip) then yes, Isla can strike you as touristy. But Centro is just a small area of this amazing island which is still predominantly a living, working, fishing community. Rent a house or a room outside of Centro in one of the Colonias and I guarantee you will find yourself surrounded by local families, their small, often make-shift restaurants serving up traditional meals like cochinita pibil on Sundays, or tamales on Fridays. Go see a baseball game, visit the schools where you can volunteer your time, or simply explore the different neighborhoods either on foot or in a golf cart. On Isla you can have as touristy or non-touristy vacation as you wish :)

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

plan on any place easy to get to being touristy. off the beaten track will cost more money and time.

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

I vote for Yelapa too based on my research but I am sticking with Holbox till they ruin it with all the modern crap, ha. Walking the sand streets and eating surprisingly good food for penny's and drinking cheap beers etc How could you not come back? Remember Playa de Carmen was just like this 30 years ago! Viva de Holbox !

wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

We're huge Tulum fans & tried Holbox last year for part of our trip. 3 nights in Holbox & 6 in Tulum. We've also done Punta Allen as part of the trip. We LOVED Holbox & will definitely go back. To us it was a more laid back, less expensive option from Tulum & the beach was incredible. The only downside was that the most beautiful, calm day we had also brought CRAZY biting bugs. You had to keep moving. My husband made the mistake of stopping to talk to someone for 20mins & literally was covered with bites that drove him crazy with itching. And typically he's not one to attract the bugs. So keep moving and/or cover yourself with spray if the wind dies down. Other than that, it's fantastic!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

I have heard about the biting bugs of Holbox before. Is there a time of year when they aren't around. I would expect that June - December would be the worst times?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

My vote would also be for Caye Caulker, Belize. Here's a good link to check out:

http://gocayecaulker.com/

jayess
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

If you have ever been to Yelapa you know the way the town is laid out in the mountain side that it will be almost impossible to ruin with cars,buses and trucks, they just don't have any and never will, they do have alot of mules and horses and use them on a daily basic, it is a great town, we also loved Puerto Morelos and it is real easy to get to, also with the resorts owning the land on both sides of the town and the marsh between town and the highway it will also remain small and friendly, just a couple of thoughts

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Places Similar to Holbox?

Isla mujeres, but avoid the touristy spots and stay at a great little local hotel or apartment in town, not near centre or off hidalgo, unless you choose hotel las palmas;).

Lots of non touristy places and things to do, just walk around and explore the areas where the locals live and eat.

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island