We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling, birding, nature in Holbox and elsewhere?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling, birding, nature in Holbox and elsewhere?

Avid snorkelers here who have had whale sharks and manta rays on the "bucket list"--the Washington Post article about Holbox grabbed our eye. Hubbie isn't sure he wants to brave his motion sickness to go on the whale shark boat trip with me, but, he said that Holbox looks like a nice place to relax in any case. We also enjoy bird watching and overall nature, I told him about the flamingos.

How rough are the waters in late July to see the whale sharks? Any snorkeling options that don't require long boat rides? I understand that Holbox doesn't have shore snorkeling?

If we plan a 1-2 week trip next summer to snorkel with the whale sharks, where else do you recommend we go? Valladolid peaked our interest but are welcome to all suggestions.

Spent a lovely week in Cozumel more than two decades ago before a major hurricane damaged the reef (heard that it has since recovered?). Prefer to avoid high-rise, touristy areas. Fluent in Spanish, but, not keen about renting a car and dealing with getting lost in the heat, and possible police bribes. Are fine with public transportation.

Thanks so much.

1. Re: Snorkeling, birding, nature in Holbox and elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, October 11, 2012