We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

We are thinking of taking a transfer bus from Cancun Airport to Centro Bus terminal and then taking a city taxi to Chiquila from there. The city taxis are supposed to be cheaper than the airport taxis. (We can't take a bus because the last bus leaves by 1:30pm and we won't make that.)

Has anyone done this, or know the cost for a city taxi?

Also, do ferries to Holbox run hourly?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
416 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Hi ocellot,

Have you tried doing a search on the forum for this information. Taxis and ferries have been discussed quite a bit here, and the info you need may already be out there. :)

-Lori

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Thanks for the reply! I know, there are a lot of helpful posts about transportation but I was unable to find one that listed a recent price for a city taxi from the central bus station to Chiquila.

I did find a post from 2010 that asks my question, but in the response it s unclear if the rate given if for a city taxi or an airport taxi (700-900 pesos, which is what I thought an airport taxi cost.) If the city taxi is indeed cheaper than that, we'd go for it. Hopefully not redundant here..again, thanks!

Holbox
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Avoid to take one of the taxi parked outside the bus terminal in Cancun. Better stop one on the road. The price should be between 800/1000 pesos. Price of gasoline increased.

santa fe, merida
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Ditto to Rosy's comment. The price of a taxi to Chiquila from the airport is fixed at 3,200 pesos! Ouch!

I walked a block away from the bus station in downtown Cancun this past November and found a taxi for 900 pesos.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Thank you so much for the info and advice! We will definitely wander from the bus station to get a taxi. 900 sounds about right.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

900 pesos! OK, so now I'm thinking we should do that instead of take a private transfer, which is around $70 US per person for 1-2 people, so $140 US for basically what you're getting for 900 pesos (OK, the private transfer includes ferry fare and a golf cart transfer on the other side).

I do love these forums, always find something new!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Plus the transfers pick you up at the airport. You don't have to take your self and your luggage on the bus to the downtown bus station and then wander away from said station to find a taxi. It's all depends upon how much schlepping and bother you want to deal with. You'll probably only save around 200-300 pesos by going via taxi instead.

For 2 pax:

Airport bus - 90 pesos

Taxi to Chiquila - 1000 pesos

Ferry - 140 pesos

Golf cart taxi - 30 pesos

TOTAL - 1260 pesos or 107USD

Transfer with transferholbox.com is $130USD

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

We like the private transfer from the airport. Much easier, and not that much more expensive.

holbox
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

And you could always do one way, getting a taxi on the way back because the local taxis are allowed to drop off at the airport, just not pick up

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of city taxi from Cancun Centro bus station to Chiquila

Good point, milikis.