We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum or Holbox w/kids 7 & 14

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum or Holbox w/kids 7 & 14

Holbox looks like a dream--but is there enough for the kids to do? Tulum seems to have more things close by... But we are having trouble finding rooms...

My kids don't need anything fancy, but we do like to take walks, explore etc.

Any other suggestions in the area (NOT Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun etc.--we want something off the beaten path)

Thanks!

seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum or Holbox w/kids 7 & 14

You won't go wrong with either Tulum or Holbox, both are beautiful places. They are pretty different too. Tulum is more geared to tourists (though nothing like PDC or Cancun) and Holbox seemed more like an authentic Mexican village. It is really cool to go to the town center at night and see all the activities going on. I dont have kids but if I did I would probably lean towards Holbox just for the experience for your children. I dont know when you are planning on going but it would be an amazing experience for your kids to see the whale shark in the summer. There are also other tours you can go on to see dolphins and flamingos. Also on Holbox you can rent a golf-cart and your older child can probably drive it in the less busier areas of the island (if you trust him/her =). Also Holbox's beaches are full of shells which is a cool way to spend time.

holbox
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum or Holbox w/kids 7 & 14

Other nice things about Holbox over Tulum is that everything is pretty much within walking distance and it is very safe. I find Tulum, although having an insanely beautiful beach, has an undertow and waves that I didn't feel safe enough to put my kid in the water. In Holbox the water is shallow without waves so a great swimming beach though not the same water color as Tulum.

I also found that in Tulum I really needed a car to get around- especially if one wants to go to town- it is far. Tulum also I find to be more expensive. Without the need for a car Holbox will make a less stressful vacation in my experience. But you can't go wrong with either.

3. Re: Tulum or Holbox w/kids 7 & 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 20, 2009