We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent violence - affecting Chiquila area?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NYC
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recent violence - affecting Chiquila area?

Hi all, I'm going to Holbox for the first time next week & have been concerned with the reports of serious violence throughout Mexico. I'm not easily alarmed by things of this nature but I want to check this out. For those of you who've recently been to Holbox, how was the trip from Cancun to Chiquila? Did you notice any increased police presense, or hear reports of violence on the roads? I'm looking foward to going but also tense about the reports of violence. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

M

Illionois
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent violence - affecting Chiquila area?

We were there 2 weeks ago, a few days before things got bad over there. We saw several military men on the island. The day we left there were quite a few. When returning to the airport there were a lot of military. I'm not sure how many but enough to make me me glad to get back to the U.S. We saw no violence or did not hear of anything. I felt very safe on the island!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent violence - affecting Chiquila area?

There are always military on the island. They have a base there. It's how the government keeps track of any possible illegal drug drops on the beach or airstrip. They meet all incoming aircraft. They are nice guys. We always smile and wave when we see them, and they do the same in return

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent violence - affecting Chiquila area?

there s no way to alarm people like that. i live in holbox and it s a very quiet island, as say IHX there are military in holbox all year long just to keep an eye on drugs on the coast. they are nice. then it s true there are military at the airport to check cars, but nothing alarming. i drive every single week to cancun on my own and i feel very safe.

4. Re: Recent violence - affecting Chiquila area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:28 am, October 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island