We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dollars to pesos exchange rate

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
dollars to pesos exchange rate

Could someone please tell me what the current exchange rate is for the American Dollar at the Cancun Airport.

I know that the true exchange rate is well over 14 pesos at a bank, but what are they currently giving you at the airport.

Thank You

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

Thank You very much for the info.

I know enough to get by, but I do not speak fluent Spanish either.

I will look for the HSBC ATM's when I arrive.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
760 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

I used the Cancun ATM Machine and my bank gave me the true rate (that day was about 14.8 to 1 USD) with a $2.00 transaction fee. Worked well!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
760 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

One more thing - The airport was only giving 12.5 to 1 USD while the ATM was better at 14.8 (which you dont know about until you see your bank statement).

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

ATM's or banks will give you the very best exchange rate. Avoid the "Casas de Cambios" in the streets or at the Cancun airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

Thank You Denver Travel Girl, Dr. Vee and all others that have posted to this query. You have all been a wealth of information, and hopefully it will benefit future travelers to Mexico, most definitely myself.

I did not realize that there was more than one option to convert dollars at the airport.

But, from what I have learned from these posts, I will go to the ATM to exchange my money, and avoid the airport kiosks and cambios, (change houses).

Thank You all for the very useful information.

San Ramon, CA
Level Contributor
81 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

I read that your ATM pin has to be 4 digits to work in Mexico, so I went to Bank of America the day before my trip and they confirmed this. It took all of 1 minute to change my pin to 4 digits.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

Although ATMs in Mexico charge a small percantage across the board(which you never see), your personal transaction fee at an ATM in Mexico is determined by the bank issuing the ATM card, not the owner of the ATM machine. I'm sure that people with ATM cards issued by HSBC get very good fee rates at HSBC ATMs. So, if you want to know what your transaction fee will be, ask your bank before you leave home.

18. Re: dollars to pesos exchange rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 am, October 20, 2009