We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards/Costs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
459 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Cards/Costs

My friend and I just booked a trip for the last week of May.

I understand that there are no ATM's, Banks, but does anyone take CC's. Thinking of restaurants for dinner, craft shops ( I would think the person who crafts gold jewerly would), bar tabs.

Also..what are the general prices of drinks on the island? sounds crazy to ask, but on a hot day that bar bill can run up pretty fast, need to have enough cash for that and tips.

I'll be asking lots of crazy questions next few months, but I will try to use search for old answers first.

holbox
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards/Costs

There are a few places that now accept credit cards, including but not all, hotels and some of those have bars and restaurants. Most will charge a commission- this is generally what the bank is charging them. I feel that the use of credit on the island is still a luxury- not a given so please do not be offended by these extra charges. Also, since the money is going straight into the bank and many people do not do internet banking this means a trip to Cancun for them to receive funds.

That said- drinks will run 20 pesos for a beer (at the bars) to 45/50 pesos for a cocktail.

One of the things that makes Holbox special is that people do not live on credit- they generally live within their means which I find makes them much happier and not so money obsessed :)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
760 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards/Costs

I just returned. We never used a credit card. VERY few places accept them. We charged a lot to our hotel room and then paid them via Paypal the last day (so they would not get charged credit card fees).

We got our pesos at the ATM at the Cancun airport. Things on the island are not very expensive.

3. Re: Credit Cards/Costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, October 19, 2009