We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

our holbox trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
our holbox trip

Just spent 5 days on Holbox. We took the public bus from Cancun to Chiquila which cost us about $7.50 /pp each way, took approx 3.5 hrs, then we took a water taxi over to Holbox which cost $10.00. Stayed at Elements. The hotel was very clean and well appointed, and air conditioned.It was quite close to the beach, a 3 minute walk and you were on the beach. I thought the employee working the hotel lobby desk could of been a bit more helpful in suggesting things for us to do, or explore, but he never offered any assistance and never suggested anything to us, we kinda stumbled and found things by ourselves. We found the beds to be uncomfortably firm. We had been told prior to arriving at Elements that breakfast was included. Once at Elements, we found that to be untrue. The hotel has a small restaurant downstairs that only served breakfast, which we found to be quite expensive for what was served, we found better prices else where. The Sky bar at the hotel was closed, which ment we had to keep walking into town or to the small store close by whenever we needed something to drink. The hotel did supply bottled water, but after the first night we had to ask for more bottled water. You can rent golf carts, but because they rented out at $70/day we ended up walking everywhere, which was ok. We made sure we took lots of bug repellent, which we only used at night and ended up with very few bug bites. The best restaurant we found was La Isla, the food was outstanding and reasonably priced. Look for the guy with the bar-b-que close to town center on a side street, he sells whole cooked chicken for $5.00 and its really good.The "famous" lobster pizza is way over rated. The whale shark tour was outstanding and well worth $98/pp. Another day we rented a small fishing boat and did some fishing which was fun. If your looking for miles of unspoiled beaches and breathtaking sunsets Holbox is for you. At times me and the hubby had the entire beach to ourselves, it was wonderful. Holbox is very laid back, no one is going to pressure you into anything, which is a refreshing change. The locals warned us of thieves on the public bus, so keep anything of value on your person, and don't fall asleep. You will notice a lot of plastic bottles etc littering the island. Not sure why people don't use the garbage cans, as it is quite unsightly. We did our part, and spent part of an afternoon picking up plastic bags and bottles from the beach. So if you go, please pick up some of the litter. Bring cash, most places only dealt with cash, Holbox has no bank machine or bank.If you stay at a hotel not on the beach, you will find you have no chair to sit on at the beach.You might want to bring beach towels or a portable chair with you. Beer is cheaper than bottled water at approx $1.20 a beer. We plan on returning to Holbox next year. Hope this post helps.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: our holbox trip

Could you answer some questions, please?

Since I've never heard of Elements, would you please give a location for it?

Also, where is La Isla restaurant?

To whom did you pay $98/pp for the whale shark tour? All over the island they are 800 pesos/pp which is just under $80USD.

BTW, I agree with you about the lobster pizza. In fact I have never eaten a pizza there that I liked.

I also pick up litter on the beach and shake my head over the casual attitude toward it. It's a Mexican thing, but then before LadyBird Johnson's Beautify America campaign in the 60's, it was also a USA thing. We have forgotten how it used to be. Mexico hasn't gotten there yet.

Thank you for taking the time to post a report.

canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: our holbox trip

Hotel Elements is on the street behind Casa Iguana. Its a big white building hard to miss. We spent $95us/pp for whale shark tours, which we booked online with Holbox whale shark tours, hence the added cost. La Isla restaurant is located across the main square from the "lobster" pizza restaurant on the right hand side, check it out the food is wonderful.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: our holbox trip

It is a shame about the litter on the beaches all over Mexico. The beautiful beaches on the east side of Cozumel are often very littered. My Mexican friends try to tell me it all washes ashore from the cruise ships---I doubt it!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: our holbox trip

I know which hotel you mean now. They've changed the name.

Reserving the whale shark tour on line with the American promoter always costs more because of the extra people involved getting a cut.

La Isla must be El Colibri. It goes by various names. I've eaten there several times and never been particularly happy with the food or the service. We have friends who, like you, just love it. Each to his/her own :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: our holbox trip

hello,

hotel element is ex acuario, just next door to the camping ida y vuelta. they ve changed name for changing of administrador.

la isla isn t colibri, it s a new restaurant next door to moguel shop, the food is very good. it s own by antoine, a nice guy from switzerland italy part.

concerning the garbage on the floor, i agree. the problem is education, many locals are not educated to put garbage in the bin, it s just natural for them to throught it on the floor. please dont do the same and show them the exemple. we hope it s going to change a bit, since many years people like morelia try to educate and make them understand, but...it s hard to make people change!!!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: our holbox trip

Thanks, Virginie. I thought that was the hotel, and now I know where the restaurant is also. Is the fruteria still in the block also?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: our holbox trip

hello IHX,

you meant front to colibri? yes it is

still dont know who you are!!

next time you come to holbox just pass by the hotel we have a new palapa and palapitas on the beach since may, make a real change!!

have a nice day

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: our holbox trip

We'll stop by, Virginie. Thank you for the invitation. I'm not sure when we'll be back. For sure we'll be back in April when a friend's daughter is celebrating her quincenera We may be back in November also. We haven't decided for sure.

9. Re: our holbox trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island