We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Mexico
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Back from Holbox

We returned last night from our idyllic 5-day getaway to Isla Holbox. I'll post a trip report soon, but a few initial thoughts now ... Villas Paraiso del Mar was lovely, well appointed, good service, beautiful property, spacious rooms. The mosquitoes weren't as bad as we'd expected, just bring repellent and you'll be fine. The whale sharks are amazing, well worth the expenditure. The transfers using Willi were ok. They were waiting for us when we arrived in Cancun, quick ride to a private boat at Chiquila, but on the return, we had to accommodate the schedule of the ferry and other van passengers, so we arrived at the airport quite early, depriving us of an extra hour or so in the paradise of Holbox. Next time, we'll arrange our own transportation, there were plenty of cabs and boats waiting in all locations. Of the restaurants we tried, we liked Los Pelicanos best followed closely by La Parilla de Juan, more on those and others later. As for development on the island, there is plenty of construction and not just near our hotel but down near Flamingoes and on the southwest tip and many places in between. Hard to criticize since the islanders we met welcomed the extra business. Still we hope the special remote feeling doesn't disappear. To all who are headed to Holbox, have a wonderful trip, enjoy!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Holbox

Glad to hear you had a good time. There is a lot of building going on, but none of it has to do with the Grand Plan that is being hyped in other places. The only building happening anywhere close to Flamingos is quite a ways down the beach and involves the reconstruction of Capriccio which was destroyed by Wilma.

Looking foward to hearing more of your experiences.

ilikescuba
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Holbox

How do you get in touch with Willi for transportation? and how much from Cancun airport to Holbox ferry.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Holbox

Willi's email is transfers@vipholbox.com. He responds quickly and can quote a price. Our transfer was $130 per person round trip ($260 total for both of us). It included pickup at the Cancun airport, air conditioned van to Chiquila, boat from Chiquila to Holbox and taxi (golf cart) from the dock in Holbox to our hotel ... and the return was a taxi from the hotel to the dock, the ferry from Holbox to Chiquila, and van to the airport. We tipped about $10 each way to the van driver, plus a few dollars to the boat captain (on the private boat coming over, not on the ferry coming back) and the taxi drivers. It took about 2 1/2 hours including the van, boat and taxi, a bit more on the return with the ferry. It's not hard to do it on your own, plenty of taxis at the airport (we were told about $90 to Chiquila, though once on Holbox, there's a sign at Tuch bar offering taxi service from Chiquila to the airport for $60 and at Chiquila, a sign for $70. I'm not sure what a private boat would cost but I'd guess $20 or less. Have fun!

Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Holbox

The best way to get in touch with Willi is by e-mail:

willi@vipholbox.com

He responded within MINUTES to us, with the below prices:

"The price for 2 persons from Cancun Airport to Holbox is USD 130.00 one way. This includes the transportation to Casa Sandra."

We used Willi in late June of this year, and were very pleased. The driver was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived. We rode in a van with one other couple, from Spain. The drive took about 2 hours(or less if you have our race car driver). We later realized that he was racing to get to the Ferry on time, which runs every few hours. This is the ferry that transports the locals back and forth...it is not fancy, and I recommend you use the restroom PRIOR to departure! If we would not have made it, we would have been transported in a "fast boat" to Holbox. It is about a 20 min. ferry ride into Holbox. Upon arrival, our golf cart driver transported us to Casa Sandra...about a 3 min.ride.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Holbox

Hey, I just returned from a 10 day stay in Mexico - 2 of which were spent in Holbox. Loved it! Very peaceful and tranquil. The whale shark swim was beyond amazing. what a rush!! Will also have trip report soon - stayed at Hotel La Palapa. will post a review. I ate at Pelicano's too - had the lobster pasta..yummy! i got totally savaged by the bugs though, even WITH repellent! Can't wait to go back for a longer stay...

boston
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Holbox

Hi! Quick question. Actually going to Cancun tomorrow and then renting a car and driving to Chiquila to get the boat. I'm just curious as to approximately how long your ride was to Chiquila?

Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Holbox

The ride from the Cancun Airport to the Ferryboat took 2 hours (1 1/2 on the way there because we had an INSAINLY FAST driver!!). The Ferry Ride ($4.50 one way ticket) took just a bit over 20 minutes. You then can take a golf cart (3 min.) or walk into "town".

We used Willie at Isla Pajaros Tours and Travel

984-875-2104 to set up the transfers. We paid $260 round trip, for 2 people, for all the necessary transfers.

If you do any tours while you are in Holbox, I HIGHLY RECOMEND meXtreme Travel. It is right next door to the Chefo's (where you HAVE to try the Lobster Pizza!). Davide Rimoldi arranged all of our trips during our week stay in Holbox. He was amazingly accommodating!! He even arranged for a private sunrise boat trip. He picked us up from our hotel EARLY, and we were on the boat as the sun rose. It was beautiful! We then visited a few small islands and did a little fishing. The captain prepared ceviche with the fish we caught and we ate it after we swam in the fresh water spring. We took the rest of the fish to the Italian Restaurant upstairs on the square, and they prepared a delicious dinner for us.

Columbus, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Holbox

Okay, so this may seem like a silly question, but as a coffee addict I take it all too seriously... :) I see that you stayed at the Villas Paraiso, which is where I am headed in two weeks.. I wanted to know how there coffee was there? I have seen on a couple different posts that Holbox only has Nescafe availabile at the majority of stores and restaurants and wasn't sure if the hotels followed suit... one or two posts have actually recommended packing a french press.. given that one of my favorite parts of the beach is morning coffee by the ocean, I want to be prepared! THanks!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Holbox

Coffee ... I agree it's important. They did not serve Nescafe. Their coffee was fine, not the best, not the worst. Probably a bit better than the average hotel in the US, but not as good as you'd expect in Europe. Does that help? Hope so.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Holbox

Coffee is a very important aspect of my daily routine. We usually buy ground coffee in one of the mini supers to make in our room. There are a couple of good coffee shops near the square. Indigo Moon has good coffee and cakes. Aroma Cafe, which is next to Los Pelicanos Italian restaurant, has good coffee and desserts as well. There is also a gift shop there that sells very unique items. Visit and look for the paper mache Alebrijes.