We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Isla trip-Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
July Isla trip-Questions

Hola-

Our sixth trip to Mexico, but first to Holbox. I appreciate any and all advice. We will have a rental car and would prefer to save a lot of money by driving to the ferry in Chiquila. Does anyone know of a safe lot? Also, can we leave the car for a weekend? Would love advice on lodging. My kids would prefer a place with a pool. We (the parents) would also like a beachfront place that is not expensive but can accommodate 4 people in a room-I've been looking at Villas Flamingos, Xaloc, etc... Last question for now-best whale shark tour operators and cost for tour. Thanks in advance for your help. Saludos, Sherry

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: July Isla trip-Questions

Our favorite car storage proprietor in Chiquila is Don Patricio. When you drive on to what looks like the main plaza (newly refurbished!), turn right and keep asking for him. Everyone knows who he is. Storage will cost you a minimum of 35 pesos a day, depending on the size of your vehicle. Count on being charged an extra day, because they count partial days as whole days in Mexico. Don’t be offended by having to pay the extra days. I know someone who was and decided to leave her car on the public square. When she returned from the island, her sideview mirrors were missing.

The rest of your questions have already been answered in various threads, sometimes more than once. Happy reading and have a great vacation!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Isla trip-Questions

The requirement of a pool really limits your options on Holbox, and many of the pools tend to be small and right out in the open under the hot sun. I myself would prefer a hotel away from the center of town where the boats tie up on a realtively untravelled stretch of beach where the golf carts don't buzz past between you and the water. Hotel Puerto Holbox has a pool and rooms big enough for 4 people but it is 5 or 6 blocks from the center of town. If you can manage without a pool, the beach is lovely in front of Villas Mapaches and they have two palapa roofed cabanas with lofts which would offer a little privacy for a family group. Villa Chimay is farther from town (they have bikes for getting around) and has a gorgeous beach. The water is perfect for kids to splash around in.

3. Re: July Isla trip-Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 29, 2009