We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

I hope I don't have to change my username here, but in doing research the last couple of days I looked into Isla Mujeres, which i'd initially skipped over because for some reason i always had the impression it was a mini-Cancun. From what I've gathered so far it doesn't seem that bad - or is it???

Holbox is of course still my first choice, but i'm wondering if it might be more practical to go to IM instead (especially since they do whale shark tours from there too, which is what drew me into Holbox in the first place)?? less travel time, closer to the airport, etc...I'm not looking for nightlife but i don't mind a little hustle/bustle and the opportunity to meet new people (as a solo female traveller).

OR - is Holbox that much better than IM and why not just go for it?? My head is splitting trying to decide. I did a search here on these forums first, of course, but am not sure it helped....thx guys

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

Holbox is a place to start reading a new Book, relaxing, and basically getting totally away from it all....no Atm's, Auto's etc....So if you are looking into a little night life IM or Cozumel would foot the bill excatly.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

Isla Mujeres has just the right balance (IMHO) - not at ALL like Cancun, but a little more nightlife(ish) than Holbox. I am solo female traveller also and had a wonderful time on IM.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

We were in IM in Jan 07 and loved it. We had a 2BR on the beach, short walk into town. Nice variety of restaurants, bars, shops. It's not Cancun but not remote either. There are plenty of hotels close together on the northern end of the island. My teenaged daughter had her hair braided-- for $25, she got a 2 hour Spanish lesson as she conversed with the lovely woman who did her hair. We biked to the tip of the island and back one day. We went out on a snorkeling boat but did not see whale sharks (wrong time of year). Now, we're headed to Holbox in July. I'm expecting it to be quieter, a different experience. We hope to do the whale shark thing and just relax, read, enjoy each other's company. I suspect both islands are worth seeing. We wanted to see Holbox before it gets developed even further.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

kdmc - that's exactly why I wanted to go to Holbox, to experience it before it gets too developed. Sigh - this is probably going to be a last-minute decision as I'm still torn between the two. I relish the idea of peace and seclusion in Holbox, but would like to have the option of nightlife if the mood should strike. Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know what the difference is (if any) between doing the whale shark tour from IM as opposed to Holbox? do they go to the same general area?

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

Why don't you go to Holbox, and then if you feel like it, stay or go to IM for a few days? I presume you will be flying in and out of Ccun? Or depending on your departure/arrival time, do it the other way around?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

I am staying with family at an AI the first 5 days, then meeting up with my BFF in Tulum for a couple days (so no more solo female traveller this trip!) then was trying to decide btw Holbox and IM from there. But, after reading 17 pages of a thread about the numerous break-ins at IM lately on one of the IM message boards (and what appears to be alleged police corruption) I've decided not to stay there. I'm going on vacation to relax, not worry about being burgled - apparently a lot of these took place as people were sleeping! At any rate, it's a shame as so many people love it there who've been going for years. The good news is I can now pick up where i left off in my Holbox plans:)

7. Re: Holbox or Isla Mujeres??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island