We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
L O
Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

Looking for a place to spend an anniversary and fall in love again. Would like a romantic setting, comfy bed, and seclusion. Cost is no issue. Recommendations?

New York
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

Hi

I just returned yesterday from Holbox and I owuld recommend Casa Sandra. It is by far the nicest hotel on the island and has a lovely romantic atmosphere.

have fun!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

Then, it's a good thing cost is not an issue :)

CT
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

any suggestions if cost is more of an issue?

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

Susie, it's a bit difficult to give you advice because you havent given very many parameters. Here's what I know about what you want:

Quiet - How quiet? 24/7? Out of town type of quiet? No golf carts on the beach kind of quiet?

Privacy - I don't know what that means exactly. If you are in a hotel, there will be other people around. Do you want a room separate from all the others? What's your definition of private?

Lower cost - maybe. Again, I don't know. What price range are you talking about? I would think that if you know that, that would narrow your search quickly.

There is a plethora of posts on this forum about hotels on Holbox. Everyone has an opinion about wherever they stayed. Plus most of the beach hotels have websites so you can check the prices. You'll probably just have to take a chance and go for it.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

I had some of the same questions ... and here's what I figured. Holbox has to be quieter than most other places, no matter where you stay. Golf cart noise can't compare with highways, huge hotels, giant pools with lots of kids, etc. On prices, there doesn't seem to be that much difference. We booked Villas Paraiso del Mar, the medium priced suite. At less than $150/night, it's less expensive than most resorts we've stayed in. I know there are cheaper hotels, but given the price of airfare, transfers, etc., it didn't seem that we'd save that much elsewhere. On privacy, having a 2-level suite seems pretty private to me (though I can't quite tell how many suites are in each building). Just being there together will be romantic enough for me ... getting close to our 27th anniversary! I suppose in the end, the advice in the previous post makes sense ... just choose one and hope for the best (or make it the best).

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

You can rent a fairly decent room on Holbox for $30/night :) It's all about what you want and how much you want to spend. And you are correct, there are simply no huge hotels on the island. The one you chose is the largest.

My preference is to be as far east of town as I can get - away from the town noise(Mexican towns are quite simply noisy), away from the constant golf carts and motos, and away from the bulk of the people. Each to her/his own.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

Have you seen Casa Takywara?? I'd never heard of it and stumbled across the website the other day. REALLY gorgeous, airy rooms (especially the penthouse suite! wow), pricey. I noticed it was recently added to the Holbox hotels list here.

Has anyone stayed there?

Mentioned in this post
Casa Takywara
Casa Takywara
330 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

It appears to me that this is the new one on the very SW tip of the island. I'm not sure if the electric line has arrived out there yet or not. It's a long ways from town, and you would need to rent a golf cart to get back and forth. When it rains, the road can become impassable. It does look appealing though, doesn't it. It reminds me of places on the other end of the island when we first visited in 2001. They were also sans electric, etc.

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

IHX, what places you like to stay on the East end of the Holbox?

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Romantic Luxurious Room on Holbox

Ha! I didn't think that was a secret. If you read past posts, my favorite is Villa Flamingos.

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island