We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

average cost of meals?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
average cost of meals?

I'm heading out to Isla Holbox later this month and since ATM machines are non existant and places that accept CCs are scarce, I'm going to have to plan out just how much cash I should bring.

The one thing that i don't know much about is the cost of the average meal on Holbox. I'm guessing that meals are pricey relative to Mexican standards, but pricey means different things to different people!

What should I expect to pay for an average breakfast / lunch / dinner? And a fancier dinner at casa andra would be...?

and while we're talking money - any suggestions on where to find the best exchange rate from USD - PESOS? airport? bank outside of airport? Do any places accept traveler's checks?

Thank you so much for your info! really looking forward to this trip!

~M

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,863 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: average cost of meals?

Cash is king on Holbox. Best place (or a place) to exchange money is in Kantunilkin. You'll see a bank to your right on a side street as you travle north to Chiquila. Usually the airoprt has the worst exchange rate. Recently in Tulum the fluctuated between 10.20 - 10.60. Everyone on the island accepts US Dollars at a rate or 10pesos to 1usd.

Some places include breakfast. But I'd average $10usd for breakfast, $15 usd for Lunch and $20usd for dinner. More for Casa Sandra - probably $100usd for 2...just in case.

Here's a simple way to look at it: I had a d-lish piece of pecan cake in town with a fresh made glass of iced tea for Starbucks prices - it was about $5usd.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: average cost of meals?

Agree w/ previous post, his/her estimates seem pretty accurate.

santa fe, merida
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: average cost of meals?

It's easy to spend that much money for meals on Holbox, but not necessary. You can get buy on less if you eat at the restaurants that are geared towards the Mexcan tourists, rather than the restaurants geared towards European and North Americans.

Insofar as exhange rates are concerned, the best rates are generally to be had from ATMs which, as you know, requires that you withdraw your cash before you get to the island. Check your ATM fees and the maximum amount of withdrawl you will be allowed.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: average cost of meals?

Yep, a fancy meal or two would be nice as we're on vacation... but we're also vacationing in mexico! I'm definitely looking forward to trying the local fare. We visited Cozumel and Tulum last year and could not get enough of the local food. I love panuchos!

I've got a long list of restaurants on the island that are supposed to be really good... but have heard little about the small local kitchens.

Any advice or suggestions there? We're to find them? I suppose we could just ask the locals!

thanks for all of the info so far!

~M

5. Re: average cost of meals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island