We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Porthmadog

Which Porthmadog hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport from Porthmadog

We have booked a week in Porthmadog in September. We are travelling there by car but were hoping to park up the car and use public transport as much as possible if we can ....

We are staying very close to the harbour, intend going to Blaenau Ffestiniog one day, already have info on this. Would also like to go to Abersoch, Betws Y Coed, and Llandudno - can anyone tell me if we can do these by bus/train or would we need to use the car ???

Have booked an apt and very much intend seeing to ourselves, eating when we are out and about in the day, and then having a few drinks and a takeaway in the evening - does Porthmadog have chinese, indian etc takeaways.

Thanks for any help anyone can give us ..

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport from Porthmadog

You can download copies of all train and bus times from this site as well as a map showing routes.

www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp…

For Abersoch you need to get a bus from Porthmadog to Pwllheli and then change buses to get a different one to Abersoch. Car is probably better as it will give you more flexibility if you decide there's not enough to keep you occupied in Abersoch. What are you wanting to do/see there? Have you thought about Aberdaron as well? It has a lovely beach and good walks along the cliffs.

For Betwys y Coed and Llandudno your best bet is to get the Ffestiniog Railway (or bus) to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then Conwy Valley line. This will be slower than going by car. Check train times from Blaenau Ffestiniog for connections as you could have quite a wait here.

Spooners Bar on the Harbour Station of the Ffestiniog Railway is the place to drink. It has a good range of real ales (including those from the local Purple Moose Brewery) and is a regular winner of CAMRA's pub of the season. (It is also the place volunteers on the FR drink and they know their ale). The cafe on Harbour station is good for meals.

The pub on the BR station used to be good but I've not heard recent reports on this.

Alports Fish and Chips on Snowdon Street also had a good reputation. There are Indians and Chinese but I don't have any information about them. Your best bet is to see what is popular with the locals.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport from Porthmadog

Thanks for the info - having looked into it all I think I will be making use of my car and sat nav !! But its ok everyone it is just a little car not a big huge lorry (as seen on this evenings news doing damage yet again to a property in Beddgelert cos the sat nav is sending them on the shortest route and the towns/villages bridges etc were not built for lorries)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport from Porthmadog

Ideally we would all like to use more public transport but unfortuanately a car is so much more convenient. You might like to consider getting a day rover ticket and just exploring the area. We had a fascinating day from Nefyn to Aberdaron, back to Nefyn then Pwllheli, Llithfaen, Pwllheli and then a trip round the centre through Garn and Rhiw. We were often the only people on the bus. We admired the way the driver coped with the narrow winding roads and traffic that came on without attempting to stop or pull over.

Scrap the sat nav and get yourself a decent road atlas - or better still the Ordnance survey 1:50000 maps for the area.

…ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/paper-maps/pa…

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport from Porthmadog

Just come back from four days staying by the harbour in Porthmadog. It is a town in a bit of a time warp, but can recommend the Little Bamboo House chinese restaurant and takeaway. Also for drinking the Royal Sportsman is a nice bar, with a superb (but pricey) restaurant. A little nearer is the Pencei Cafe bar, which is very hospitable place.

I would avoid the Sherpa bus from town - ours didn't turn up, so we drove up in the car and it took under half an hour to get to Snowdon.

Also, watch for the big queue at the Shell garage for petrol - there is a perfectly good and nearly always queue free petrol station at the Tesco down the road. Just remember you need to pay at the pump.

Have a great time

5. Re: Public Transport from Porthmadog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2011