We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

Flintshire
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

Hi All,

I am looking at booking a cottage which is located in Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog.

Apart from the brief location details on the website, I can't seem to find much information about this area.

We aren't bothered about proximities to pubs for night life as we will be spending each night at the cottage, but I wondered how far away different villages etc are by car for a nice day out?

Thanks,

Laura

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

Cwm Pennant is one of the most beautiful valleys in Wales - and still secret as it doesn't get a mention in the guide books. It is a place to drop out and enjoy the scenery.

There is a bit of information here.

ephotozine.com/photolocations/188/Cwm-Pennan…

and pictures here:

cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/cwmpen_ph.htm

Depending on how far up the valley the cottage is, it will be a 8-10 mile drive to Porthmadog (and civilisation).

It is a beautiful drive up the valley - there are no villages, just scattered farms.

At the top of the valley are the remains of slate workings.

www.penmorfa.com/Slate/princeofwales.html.

You can climb up through these to the old tramway which carried slate down the valley. This is a good easy walk. It is also possible to climb up through the workings to pick up the old coffin road which climbs up to the pass and down into Beddgelert Forest or from the pass you can cut up the hillside onto the Nantlle Ridge. It is a stiff climb up to the ridge but the views are amazing. It is a roller coaster walk along the ridge.

If you want a map showing a bit more detail go to this web site:

www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

Click on the pink circle "I want to get a mapp now"

This opens a small window. In the search box type Dolbenmaen (which is the nearest settlement the map recognises). When the map appears click ONCE on the East arrow which takes you to the start of the yellow road up Cwm Pennant. Click the north arrow to take you further up the valley.

This map (second biggest circle) is on a scale of 1inch to 1.25 miles. Click on the biggest circle for a map of 1inch to 2.5miles.

Eleanor

Flintshire
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

Thank you :-) That's really helpful.

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
430 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

Very interesting - secret it is. Never picked up a whisper in all my visits to the area - something I'm definitely going to have to correct on the next trip.

Sunseeker, this location also puts you in a great position to enjoy Cricieth and the rest of the Llyn Peninsula - with plenty of enjoyable side trips and destinations.

Info:

www.criccieth.co.uk

www.castlewales.com/criccth.html

www.llyn-wales.co. uk

www.aberdaronlink.co.uk

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-plasynrhiw

www.castlewales.com/stcybi.html

Enjoy.

Edited: 11:12 am, February 10, 2010
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

NJXJ you have enjoyed so many of my favourite places.....

Have you found these on your travels?

Penarth Fawr, 15thC grand farmhouse on the unclassified road between Chwilog and A497 east of Pwlhelli

www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/default.asp…

This was one of the places on our 'wet day list'.

St Beuno's Church, Pistyll, a delightful old pilgrim church on a ledge above the sea.

translate.google.co.uk/translate…

This always used to be decorated with branches, bracken, gorse for Christmas, Easter and other religious festivals. It was a step back to Celtic Christianity. It is a few years since we were last there and I had heard the new priest didn't approve of this and it was no longer done.... if you have been recently, please let me know if this glorious tradition is still being observed.

The splendid iron age fort at Tre'r Ceiri

trekkingbritain.com/yreiflandtrerceiri.htm

www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artcit/castel.htm

If you have visited and enjoyed Portmeirion, you will also like Plas Brodanw Gardens.

http://www.brondanw.org/

These were designed by Clough Williams-Ellis, the quirky architect responsible for Portmeirion. In the gardens he is using trees and shrubs rather than buildings to form the views and perspectives. They are delightful.

It is on the unclassified road to Croesor signed off the A4085 from Penrhyndeudraeth about half a mile after the crossroads. There is a small parking area on the left. Enter through the large gates and there is an honesty box.

Eleanor

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
430 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

I have to laugh, Eleanor. Penarth Fawr was also a "wet day" stop for us and I'd certainly have to agree that it is on an "unclassified" road!

I'm well familiar with the tiny lanes and byways all across Wales, but this one was so narrow after I made the turn off of the A497, I was questioning whether I had entered a farmer's driveway. We were certainly glad I elected to continue since that day we had Penarth Fawr to ourselves to explore.

Interesting story about St. Beuno's Church - and no, we seem to have missed the one in Pistyll, although we did stop by St. Beuno's in Clynnog Fawr. Old St. Beuno was apparently very popular in the area! I had seen a story about it's impressive 16th century interior but it was under renovation the day we stopped and we had to content ourselves with wandering about the exterior.

And the view of the entire peninsula from Tre'r Ceiri is absolutely stunning in clear weather. That was a very good day, as we had spent the morning trekking along the shores of Porth Dinllaen.

Haven't gotten to Plas Brodanw Gardens yet, although it was already on our "to do" list. (to which I had added Cwm Pennant)

Definitely plenty to see and do in the area besides standing in line for the Snowdon Mountain Railway - more should take the time to explore this western "Dragon's Tail" of Cymru.

Edited: 7:34 am, February 11, 2010
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

I'm glad I managed to find somewhere you haven't visited yet! Have you been to Llanfrothen Church? It's another of the pilgrim churches?

I have to agree about the lane up to Penarth Fawr. The turn onto A497 is vicious.

Have you done Garn Fadryn? It's not on the same scale as Tre'r Ceiri but the view from the top is one of the best. There is parking beside the chapel in Garn village. Walk up the track next to the chapel (always steeper than it looks) go through the gate and bear right long the wall and then follow your nose to the top. Vortigan's Granddaughter escaped here when Hengist and Horsa defeated Vortigan. With the eye of faith you can still see the remains of the stone circles on the NE side of the summit.

We also enjoy the walks over the hills at the tip of the Aberdaron Peninsula (Pen y Cil, Mynydd Mawr and Anelog). Mynydd Rhiw and Mynydd Pennarffynyth (that spelling doesn't look right) are good too.

There are so many good places the average tourist misses. Happy days....

By the way we did find an even worse road - cutting through Morfa Neyn to the east of the crossroads (not looking at the map so can't give more precise details). It was a couple of inches wider than the car with stone walls. There was one right angle bend which we thought we were going to get stuck in.

Eleanor

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

I'm getting my Llans muddled up. I meant Llangwnnadl Church. Llanfrothen isn't on the pilgrim route but the old church is rather nice too.

It should be Mynydd Penarfynydd too! That looks better.

Eleanor

Edited: 10:40 am, February 11, 2010
Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
430 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

It's not as difficult as you might think to educate me, Eleanor - there's a vast number of spots we haven't been yet. Which is why we keep coming back.

And which is why I enjoy the type of question that SunseekerNW posed. Wish we had more threads like this to uncover more of the not-so-obvious delights of Wales.

And now, besides Cwm Pennant, you've provided some more valuable recon. I took a pass on Garn Fadryn because a way to the top wasn't clear and we ended up on Mynydd Rhiw instead (not bad, but Garn looked like the better choice).

As for Llangwnnadl . . . well, typical tourist myopia! Never gave it a second glance as I trundled through towards Aberdaron.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

We holidayed in the Llyn for 2 week at Easter for 25 years and were still discovering new places. We always have a soft spot for Garn Fadryn as this was daughters first 'hill' at the age of 3.

Llangwnnadl is in 2 bits. The few houses along the main road and the main settlement which is off the road on the right (going to Aberdaron). The church is here.

You might also be interested in finding Cwmorthin, the next valley along from Cwm Pennant. Access is along an unclassified road signed off the Porthmadog/Beddgelert Road which leads up to the old reservoir for Porthmadog area. Folllow the old tram line to the remains of the quarries at the top of the valley.

We've also enjoyed walking in Beddgelert Forest and the woods around Tan y Bwlch. (Plas Tan Y Bwlch used to have a leaflet with a map showing paths.) There is also a super walk from Tanygrisiau basically following the track of the Ffestiniog Railway to Tan y Bwlch. You cut off the access road to Stwlan Dam for the footpath. (Will need to look at the map for details).

We also enjoyed the walk up the side of Croesor Valley which gives access to Manod and the old quarry workings at Rosydd. From here you can drop back down through Cwmorthin to Tanygrisiau (again through the quarry workings).

Garn Boduan is also a good hill. It's a while since we walked up there and if they have been felling things may have changd. There is parking by a gateway giving access to a forest road on the Nefyn/Y For road. Follow the forest road to the edge of the forest and then cut up the hillside over the rocks for the top. Watch out as there are adders around here.

We use Ordnance Survey 1:25000 maps for walking as they show field boundaries. 1:50000 are OK but there isn't always enough detail. However this part of Wales isn't walking country so footpaths shown on maps may no longer exist or not go through.... Foot and Mouth in 2001 was a good excuse for footpaths to be closed and many didn't get reopened.

Eleanor

10. Re: Cwm Pennant, Nr. Porthmadog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 12, 2010