We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porthmadog as a Tourist destination

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Porthmadog as a Tourist destination

I think we need to get peoples experiences of Porthmadog on here so that people know what to expect when they go there, we returned yesterday from a 4 night break at Haven Greenacres on the outskirts of Porthmadog and it has to be said that Porthmadog is somewhat disconcerting when you go there not knowing what you will find!

We stayed nearby as a base to go up Snowdon which we successfully summitted with great pride! no cheating, no catching trains just a gruelling 2.5 hour climb up our first ever mountain and 2.5 hours back down again! loved it!

However back to Porthmadog! I expected to find a plethera of cozy country pubs and was very dissappointed! The Australia Inn is a hole with urine soaked toilets! nice sounding menu but not at all appealing to eat in! The Ship Inn was not very cozy or atmospheric either, Spooners was a bit dirty, smelly and rubbish to say it had so many pub of the year awards certificates on the walls! Red Lion was scruffy and the women behind the bar were quite abrasive and prattled on in welsh. The railway station pub was not too bad and other than that you need to go out to Tremadog to find some nice welcoming comfy pubs!

There are quite a few cafes to choose from during the day but to eat out at night Porthmadog is very very very limited! We went to passage to india 2 nights out of four - cracking indian it is! I highly reccomend! We ate one night at Tremadog and one night on the harbour in porthmadog where my partner paid £16 for a sea bass that was not £16 worth of quality food when it arrived, my steak and ale pie was nice but the trimmings like chips and veg arrived luke warm which for the price should be hot! - that is another thing about Porthmadog, when you do find places to eat, they are expensive averaging £15 for steak and chips and often more!

For those of us staying at the numerous caravan parks at morfa bychan, the evenings were a struggle as there is nowhere to really go in porthmadog plus the bus service out to Morfa bychan stops at tea time and the country road between the two places is an unwalkable death trap after dark.

Had some nice food at the Grapevine Bistro, I also highly reccommend this little gem.

Porthmadog is pretty but it is like the land that time forgot to say that it is a tourist destination! It seems to be stuck in 1971 and has resisted any attempt at modernisation bar the fact that some shops and pubs have evidently closed down.

Again though, the scenery is absolutely stunning! I think the tourism board should take a look at what they are selling to the tourists though.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Porthmadog as a Tourist destination

Hi Jool1969,

Glad you enjoyed your climb of Snowdon and the beautiful Welsh scenery. I always find the descent the hardest bit when hill walking but it's all worth it to enjoy the stunning Snowdonian views and countryside.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about "expectations" of a holiday destination. I'm a bit of a planner and I love my food so need to know what my eating options will be, wherever I go. Generally I look on tripadvisor or do a google search on eateries beforehand. If I there aren't many places listed it gives a good indication of what to expect in terms of choices, whether I should take some food with me (especially if I am self-catering) and if I should book somewhere especially for the first night at least. I think also by staying in self-catering accommodation there is the assumption that the in-house catering facilities would be used at some point, especially for families who may be on a budget and not wanting to eat out every night.

In terms of transport, many places in the more remote places of Wales (and in other parts of the country) don't have evening bus services or well-lit pavements along the roads (as you've experienced). This can be frustrating but the remoteness is what appeals to a lot of people who visit (and live) there.

As other posters have said, the locals are not intentionally being rude or unwelcoming by speaking in Welsh. It is their first language.

I hope you haven't been put off visiting Wales and that next time you will know what to expect and maybe see it through different eyes.

Happy travelling.

DottyUK

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Porthmadog as a Tourist destination

Thankyou to those who saw my point of view and to all those of you getting on your high horse, I wasn't saying the locals can't speak welsh but I have never felt so uncomfortable and unwelcomed anywhere I have ever been - I can't be doing with this them and us that does exist with some welsh people, we are all British People living in the British Isles as far as I am concerned. Both my partner and me definately felt like we were being talked about and felt an atmosphere!

Also a few people have said that Porthmadog isn't a tourist destination but the trouble is it is being advertised as one and the holiday parks in the area are happy to get peoples hard earned money to stay there, there is one review of Greenacres Park now where a family were frantically driving around the area trying to find somewhere to get some food after 8.30pm! Their only option was an indian takeaway. A local woman told them they were in the "Twilight Zone"!

Also I am well aware that lots of rural roads are dangerous and have bad transport links to town and yes lots of places here in Lincolnshire are like that but the difference is we don't have several whacking great holiday parks in the middle of nowhere here with holiday making families/pensioners trying to get safely back and forth.

I loved wales, I fully intend to go back to wales but next time I want to find myself somewhere that offers the hospitality and nice local facilities as say somewhere like the Lake District/cornwall/devon does! I know times are hard but Porthmadog doesn't do itself any favours by having unpleasant pubs people don't want to drink in and not taking up the opportunity to have restaurants open in the evenings and catch the tourism trade.

23. Re: Porthmadog as a Tourist destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 13, 2011