We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any fine sandy beaches?

london
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
any fine sandy beaches?

Have not been to Costa Brava before. have 2 small children and would prefer somewhere with sandy beach. Are all beaches shingle on this coast ?

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

With some notable exceptions such as the beach in Cadaques, many if not most of the beaches are sandy. My favorite is the beach outside of San Pere de Pescador, but it is not easy to reach with public transportation. The beach at Roses/Santa Margarita is sandy, as is that of Empuriabrava. I am not familiar with the names of sandy beaches further south but Begur expert Denise might help you out with that. You won't find powder fine sand like some in the Caribean, but the beaches here are generally very good for the kids.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

Most of the beaches here on the Costa Brava are sandy, including Sa Riera, Llafranc, Tamariu and Calella de Palafrugell. Beautiful Sa Tuna, close to Begur has a pebbled beach. However, the safest beach for the children as far as swimming goes, is Augiablava.

Rostov-on-Don,Russia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

I have a question about the beaches too. Could you please advise on how deep the sea is around Empuriabrava? We are currently trying to choose between that place and Santa Susanna, and the children's safety for swimming is the key factor.. Which one would be better, or none maybe?.. Please help me figure this out :)

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

I see lots of children of all ages playing at the beaches around here, but I have no idea exactly how deep they are or how they compare to Santa Susanna. Another issue is jellyfish - remember to watch out for them.

Malgrat de Mar...
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

jellyfish are now common all over the med and not just in the catalonia area. whether they arrive anywhere in large numbers is not an exact science and nobody can say with any authority whether they will arrive in numbers this year. just be aware that they could turn up on any beach and take the normal precautions.

the catalan government has issued some advice

…gencat.cat/portal/…

some, but not many, catalan beaches use flags with purple markings, see here,

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/es~beach.html#yel

just follow the normal warniing flags on the beaches and you should be fine.

as regards choosing a resort, the better beaches are, as denise says, in the northern part of costa brava, but there are plenty families who are happy with the beaches at malgrat and santa susannah.the children swim in the water there quite happily -you just need to be aware of where they are and what they are doing which is normal parenting

i personally would not use the suitability of the beach for swimming as the only criteria for planning a holiday, but maybe use it as a final decider between choosing a resort.

Rostov-on-Don,Russia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

Thank you for the information. My daughter is not even 4 yet, and can't swim without a raft.. so, for ME it's important to be able to stand up every now and then when I'm in the water with her. And yes, it was the final decider for choosing a resort. Thanks for letting me know about the jellyfish - I hadn't heard about that problem yet. You all helped, guys. Have a nice summer!

wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

We are going to Calella on the 24th July we have 2 children age 7 and 8 is the sea here deep or shallow, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

8. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:11 pm, March 14, 2015
MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

I think I am in the minority here in that I much prefer the shingle to fine sand, it is still soft enough to lie on (and play for kids) but it doesn't stick to you! I agree about the sea in this area though, it shelves quite deeply

wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any fine sandy beaches?

Thanks for your advice. Ive bought them some aqua shoes to take as from past experience in other places that type of sand is pretty painful when it sticks in.

Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava