We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire rip off!

Ireland
Level Contributor
213 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire rip off!

Just back from a wonderful trip to the Costa Brava marred somewhat by car hire rip off. Hired a car from Solmar Car Hire and charged €80 for ffull tank of petrol. We returned the car with a half a tank of petrol and no refund. What a rip off! Do all the car hire firms operate this policy and why? We would have been content to give €80 deposit which would be refundable on return of car with full tank. What an unfair sharp practice this is!!!!!!

Jodyr

London, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire rip off!

Common practice I,m afraid.some don't for a 3day or less rental or when you are at resort and clearly want a car for a day trip. Why is fairly obvious.

Europ car at Reus were doing a special offer earlier this month. Return full!!!!!!!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire rip off!

I wouldn't mind so much if you could get that much fuel into the car in the first place ...

What a rip off indeed.

Liverpool, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire rip off!

Must admit that I have used solmar plenty of times from Gerona and when I tell them that I don't need a full tank, they do tell me to return it full for a refund. They have always honoured this

Mechelen, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire rip off!

Well, I've tried also to make this deal about returning a full tanks, without succes! We hired a car nearby Barcelona airport, had to wait more than half an hour for a shuttle bus, and when we arrived at the Solmar-office whe had to pay 45 euro extra because it was past 23 pm. And then 80 euro for the fuel, plus TAV extra! Never again Solmar!!!

5. Re: Car hire rip off!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 15, 2013