We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Topic
Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Driving all the way from the UK and not having been to the Costa Brava before I need to know or would like to know which is reckoned to be the best place to stay.

Criteria is good beaches close to the Hotel and a good town for restaurants and of course shops for "her indoors" plus some good places to visit for half/full days etc

I have had various suggestions ie Platjd'Aro,Roses, L'Escala, L'Estartit,Palafrugell,Palamos,Tossa or LLoret De Mars etc etc

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Hi,

It would all depend on what kind of places you prefer.... quiet and less touristy or bigger beaches with lots of amenities and therefore more touristy?

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Thanks very much Denise for coming back on this.

You ask a difficult question in a way because we don't know the area to have any idea of what the difference between the two are.

I suppose the answer is not too "touristy" so that we dont have big crowds and can enjoy a reasonably low key beach but at the same time have the opportunity of having a big enough town or towns to offer varied shops to give my wife, something to look forward to.

I suppose you and others may say " I want jam on both sides " to coin an old English saying but if I am asking the impossible , then do tell me to shut up.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Hi there,

OK..... if you want something less touristy, any of the following would fit the bill; Begur, Tamariu, Calella de Palafrugell and Llafranc. They all have lovely beaches, nice bars and restaurants and shopping. Begur has the best shopping, lovely, up market and stylish boutiques, catering for the wealthy of Barcelona who have houses here. (I live in Begur and it's too tempting at times!). Nearby Palafrugell is a town with lots of shopping opportunities.

What time of year are you planing to come over?

I hope this helps; get back to me if you need more info.

Regards,

Denise

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Gosh, that was a quick reply and thanks again.

Now that I come to think of it , one of our friends stayed a La Franc and said it was very nice but perhaps a bit on the quiet side. I suppose to get a bit more action then , the answer would be to go into Palafrugel would it ?.

Overall would that be a better combination then ,say than Platja d'Aro and perhaps Palamos?

These are other places that she (our friend) said were OK.

We will not now come over until probably next June or so ,on account of the Euro being so low against the Pound and the current Eurotunnel Upheaval.

By the way ,do you happen to know what is the earliest time ( as a rule) that the restaurants open in the evenings in all these places. Unfortunately I have to eat early in the evenings and if the restaurants don't open by 6.30 or 7.00 pm

I "starve".

Finally , is it possible or easy enough to get to Barcelona by Train from as far away as La Franc or nearer , if we stay at any of the other places.

If so how long does it take, would you say.

Sorry to put all these questions to you but it would be a great help knowing the answers.

I really do appreciate this.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Well.......... Palafrugell is NOT on the beach, but is about a 10 min drive. Palamos is a much bigger resort with a lon beach, plenty of shops and restaurants. In June we're getting well into the high season so plenty of places will be open.

Regarding restaurants, it's difficult to eat dinner before 8pm, even this is considered very early! You best bet would be to have a big lunch, as the Spanish do, the maybe eat tapas in the evening.

Your best bet if you want to go to Barcelona is to get the train. The nearest station to Llafranc/Begur etc is Flaca, near to Girona, about 30 mins drive.

Regards,

Denise

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

PS the train to Barcelona is about 1.5 hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Many thanks Denise. You have been very helpful indeed and I appreciate it. I'll bear all that in mind when I start planning the trip.

Thanks again .

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

No problem. Let me know if you need further info.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Hi Denise! I am wondering why Cadaques wasn't mentioned on this list as a good destination and am wondering if you'd think it is too touristy.

I am looking for a similar vacation, not touristy, a relaxing beach town but with places to eat and something to do in case it rains or is freezing.

We're planning to come to Costa Brava March 27, and I am wondering whether you'd suggest Burges over Cadaques.

Thank you!

Jen

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place for a Weeks Holiday in Costa Brava

Hi Denise,

Sorry, I meant Begur (Not Burges..too much time reading travel books!) I am also wondering whether in March it will be too cold to do a ton of walking around outside. Last year in March in Paris, we were met with freezing rain and sleet- so that spoiled our plans to wander around in the outdoors!

Thanks!

Jen

Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava
Recent Conversations